need ideas to beef up drivetrain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
mike1

Lightbulb need ideas to beef up drivetrain

I have a full size 85 chevy 1/2 ton with dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 350, turbo 400, NP 208c, full cab, no bed yet, 6 inch lift, 37x12.50s, and I need some suggestions on how or if I need to beef up my u-joints and or driveshafts. Right now everything is stock. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM

That's a pretty stout drivetrain to start with. Just make sure you don't skimp on u-joints and go with something cheap. I have had good luck with Spicers and was told by the guy who built my drivshafts to stay with that brand for the best results. I just changed one out that started squeeking really bad at the start of our last ride. I didn't think it would survive the day, but it stayed together under abuse and kept the shaft turning. When I pulled it out, there were no needle bearings left. The other thing is to make sure you have some good gearing in there to turn them tires and take some stress off the tranny.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Oh, one other thing, you never mentioned how much lift you were running or if it was a long or short box. You may want to lower you transfercase and tranny a little to decrease your driveshaft angle a bit. I lowered my Jimmy's case about an inch to eliminate binding and stress, but that was because of the 6" lift and the short wheel base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode