New shock dont fit 86 k20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:19 PM
86k20truck

Question New shock dont fit 86 k20

How can i tell if my truck has a lift kit installed in it? I recently picked up a 1986 Chevy K-20 4x4 truck. I don't know any history about the truck. I replaced the rear leaf springs with what i was told are stock leaf pack from a junk yard. Now i tried installing a set of pro comp ES9000 shocks. The new shocks seem too short. i was told the shocks fit a k20 with up to 2 inch lift. i had to compress leaf springs about 2 1/2 inches to get everything lined up. now when i lift the truck off the ground there is no drop in the tires and on a test drive it seemed alot rougher ride than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 AM

You, or the parts shop, didn't possibly get the shocks flip flopped did you? The front shocks are about that much shorter than the rear. You should be able to install shocks at full drop.....no weight at all on the axle and it is just hanging there attached to the springs. If you can't, your articulation and travel is greatly effected.

As far as lift, you can usually tell by looking at the front springs. If they are pretty straight or arched up in the middle, you've got stock springs there. The rears will arch down either way, but if the fronts are as described above and the truck sits level, you've got stocks in the rear as well.

Look at the picture I posted in the "New Attitude/Altitude" post I have. You'll see what lifted springs look like. The ones with the most arch are for the rear. I've got the stock ones laying at home two if you'd like a picure of what they look like as far as arching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode