Lifted and repaired the K5 this weekend... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Lifted and repaired the K5 this weekend...

Well, I decided to attempt some body repairs on the ole K5'er this weekend, and in the process perhaps gain some extree clearance for some bigger meats. When I started this project, I thought I was for sure over my head... The whole drivers side half of the Blazer was falling in on itself, and the body mounts were just GONE. These are the before pics...

The exterior is kinda rough from the back of the doors to the tailgate, but the front clip is all pretty solid. The weak point was the underbody.. This thing has had floor after floor put in to strengthen it, but until this last weekend, not enough had been done... This is where I come in. I spent 2 1/2 days in my buddy's pole barn over the weekend welding, adding, subtracting, grinding, pounding.... I was a rather irritable person throughout the ordeal, since NOTHING seemed to go right. The end product was worth it all though.

I had figured originally that I would be using 3" square steel tubing and running it from side to side where the original body mounts were. Unfortunately all the steel yards were shut down for the weekend and besides that, steel would have been a huge expense for me right now. SO, as an alternative I hit up the local home depot and bought 2 12' pieces of 4x4 treated lumber :lol: NOW, most of you would think perhaps that this would be a bad idea. I have heard that the wood will rot... it'll break.... etc. etc... STILL I needed to use something to regain a bit of structure, and the wood seemed to do the trick. The rearmost three sets of mounts have 4x4's across the whole width of the truck, and bolted together with 5/8" bolts and some massive steel washers. The front two sets of mounts were made with smaller chunks of wood, as the transmission and lines got in the way of running a long piece across. Up front there is a combination of hockey pucks and lumber all sandwiched together to obtain the final result which you can see below...

As you can see above, said K5 is still pretty ugly. BUT the thing is so damn solid now its rather impressive. I was shooting for function moreso than form in this project, and I managed to acheive that goal at least. I have already had it out to the Mounds ORV park near Flint, MI beating the hell out of it TRYING to get the lumber to break, but so far everything is holding up well. I am gonna pick up a can of rubberized undercoating now and spray the boards so they stay pretty well watertight (They do this also when burying lumber in the ground for pole building supports) As far as durability, only time will tell how long this will last, but I have confidence that it will hold up for a while. Besides... if it breaks, its only 10 bucks to buy new mounts :lol:

Whadda ya'll think? Redneck, yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

Dude, there is a reason they don't use wood for body mounts at the factory. It's an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

They use treated lumber in many commercial vehicle applications just like I have, in box trucks, stake trucks, etc.. Besides, I don't drive this thing on the highway anyway. Its strictly an off road toy now, and will be towbarred or trailered everywhere I use it. I just hit up a wicked mudbog with it this last weekend, and even managed to get 3 feet of air coming out of one of the pits, and the boards don't show any signs of stress or breakage. Besides that, if they break - thats when I know its time to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Hound

I also lifted a 87 K5 this pass weekend,I had to buy a 3rd one to keep my 15 y old son from trashing mine to bad i'm so far south , I have a 91 with all good sheet metal that im get rid of..Keep up the work.. would post pic if i new how.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode