Trail Clean up truck project with pictures. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Trail Clean up truck project with pictures.

Nebie here. Just wanted to share some pictures and information on my project.

I wanted to build a project with a purpose. Something that might benefit the 4x4 community. So this last spring I bought an old Chevy truck with the plans of making it into a dedicated "Clean Up" truck. (I never have enough room in my Jeep to haul much trash). While I want the truck to be good for hauling trash, I also want it to send a message that we are not just out there tearing up trails. I want people to know that people and companies care enough about the sport to build trucks specifically to clean up and maintain our trails.

I have a whole plan for the trucks build up and then how I am going to show it to get the message out. I am still open to ideas and still have a lot to do.

I have been a bit slow building the project. Mainly becasue it is only me working on it.

Here are a couple of pictures. It is still very rough and needs lots of work. Just thought I would share.

Sorry for the picture size.

This is a long way from being complete.

I would like to thank the following companies for caring enough about the message and helping me out with this to this point. (Holley,Weiand, Flowtech, Allied Racing, Superlift, KC Highlights, Bushwhacker, Tuffy, Hobart)

The truck is a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton longbed "Camper Special" has a 454 with a valve rattle(motor needs some love), TH350 that I want to convert to a 700R4. I have no idea on the t-case 203 or 205. 14bff rear/D44 front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Trail Clean up truck project with pictures.

Looks good man. Nice cause as well.

Got a steering brace?

www.OffRoadDesign.com

He's in your neck of the woods as well.

Might want to ask Stephen there as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I'm sure i will need a steering brace when I get it running again.

For some reason I missed updating this tread. I went looking for parts for the truck and came home with a crew cab. Just finished stripping the parts off the original truck to build the crew cab instead. Figured it would make a better truck for this since it will haul some people too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

We just got HUGE support for the project from Painless Performance: News.
I'm VERY excited about this. This will make a huge step toward reliability and functionality.

Sorry for the quick camera phone pic. I will take more as we get this stuff installed.

-Complete 18 circuit replacement harness.
-700R4 tranmission harness
-6 pack relay bank
-6 switch panel. (KC set us up with 3 sets of lights so this will be good for this)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I made a little progress over the last couple of days. It has been awhile since I posted here. There has been lots of progress. This is just what I did in the last couple of days.

-Have the carpet abotu 80% in.
-Have the headliner about 80% in.
-Actually have the front set of seats 1/2 bolted in.
-POR 15 on the frame to get it ready to put the bed back on.

In this picture you can see where the frame is spliced. Many people have asked me for the measurements. The frame was cut 7" from the back of the cab. The center hole on the crossmember directly behind the cut is 8.5" back. Then the tail of the frame was cut off for the last part of the bed. Hope that helps.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Journeyman

Looks good, keep the pictures coming.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

MrK5 from Coloradok5.com has been working on some signage for the truck. Here is a teaser of one of the things he has come up with. What do you guys think? He has a sign shop here in Colorado for those of you that want to check it out Biltrite Sign Service

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It's coming along real nice. Looks good!

A pain in the worlds butt, since 1967
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man!!

After a weekend of work with Brigham I took the truck on it's maiden voyage today. First around the block, then to the autoparts store and then to the closest dirt to take a few pics. Still a LOOOOOONG way to go with lots of work but it was nice to get it out of the garage.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Just some more progress and a couple of pics.

-Fully sound deadened the front two doors with RAAMat BXT and Ensolite. (Thanks to Rick at RAAMaudio for donating the stuff to the project)

-Installed an old Sony stereo I had laying here. (Radio only, CD broken).
-Bought some 6x9 speakers to fill the holes in the doors and have some sound.

-Figured out that I am missing a "Heater Relay" under the dash so I can't get the heater to work.

-Installed the front cab vents. Passenger side works great, driver side is broken.

-Sparyed the hood to keep the raw metal out of the elements for the moment.

-Replaced one of the two rear windows that were broken. Need to replace the other one and have them tinted.

-Temp install of the Nordskog GPS Speedo. VERY VERY COOL STUFF. Now I just need to do the rest of the gauges.

-Installed front seat belts. They are blue........ugly but safe.

-Have a pretty big oil leak from the oil pressure sender.......guess that will be next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode