Dana 60 Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Dana 60 Question

As far as Gm trucks using factory dana 60s, they used them in 88-92 SRW crew cab 1 tons, and military cucv's? Im not talking about dually ones, just single wheel versions. Did they use them in other years and how common were they used?
I thought, and I could be wrong, that they werent used a whole lot.

Thanks
Rebil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Dana 60 Question

I think they were available beginning in the early to mid 80's, if not earlier.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
W_T_F_Chuck

Are we talking front or rear? Fronts since 1977-1987 (91-V30s) in K30s and the CUCVs. Pre-81 they showed up in Camper Special K20s as well in the front. As for the rear used around 68-72.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
As far as Gm trucks using factory dana 60s, they used them in 88-92 SRW crew cab 1 tons, and military cucv's? Im not talking about dually ones, just single wheel versions. Did they use them in other years and how common were they used?
I thought, and I could be wrong, that they werent used a whole lot.

Thanks
Rebil

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much what chuck said. GM introduced the K30 in 77 I believe (reg cab long bed) as well as the crewcab. Anything that's a 1 ton GM up until 91 will have one, excluding the IFS trucks of course. For instance, mine came from a 1988 CC SRW, along with the 14 bolt from the same truck. Certain cucv's will have them, but not all. Those that will ususally have 4.56 gears (if not always), and a rear detroit(in the 14B). Sometimes they have a posi unit in the front 60, but it's more rare to find those.

Theres no need to narrow your seach to just SRW, if you're looking for one though. Sometimes people preffer the DRW 60's, so they can run unmodified military H1 wheels. So, it's easy to find someone willing to trade out hubs if you want. Or you can keep the DRW 60 and run the H1's yourself if you want. It's a bit pricey, but if you have to, you can buy the correct SRW hubs new.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Im not actively looking for one right now, just getting general knowledge. Were srw 1 tons fairly uncommon? Mostly all I see are dually around here anyway.
My buddy scored a 60/14 bolt from a cucv with the detroit in the rear and I think it was a true trac in the front ( may not be but the front has something). He also has the hubs to convert a dually to a single.

Thanks
Rebil
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
Were srw 1 tons fairly uncommon? Mostly all I see are dually around here anyway.

Rebil

[/ QUOTE ]

Not uncommon around here. No more uncommon than duallys anyway. Actually maybe evn more common than duallys, when you count the regular cab 1 tons in with the crewcab SRW. Let's just say there *used* to many around. But the fact that they are getting older means they're fewer and further between.

I actually passed up a 1989 CC 1 ton for a grand, a while back. My father in laws buddy was going to seel it to me when the engine took a dump. But I just wanted the axles, and having know that truck since it was brand new, I didn't have the heart to part it out. Besides, there was a guy who was interested in fixing it up, so I let him snag it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode