GM 10 Bolt Front Axle Seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

GM 10 Bolt Front Axle Seals

My front axle is leaking grease out both sides. I assume this means the inboard seals need to be replaced. I've pulled the axles to replace the U joints before but never any work in the differential. How difficult a job is this? Tackle at home or do you suggest taking to a professional.

Thanks
Rancher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 07:21 AM

Re: GM 10 Bolt Front Axle Seals

if you,ve pulled the axles befor your more than able to replace the seals
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM

Re: GM 10 Bolt Front Axle Seals

Just did this the other day.....

Drain diff fluid. While doing this pull shafts out. Pull carrier out, taking care to note placement and orientation of bearing caps (they have to go back in the same place in the same direction). You will see the seals just inside the axle tubes. Pry the seals out noting the orientation of the spring (towards or away from the oil, I forget)and the depth of the seal.

Put a light bead of silicone around the edge of the new seal and tap it in with a hammer- see note below. Clean up your axle shafts and lube the part that comes in contact with the new seal with gear oil. Careful to insert and your done. Might think about doing your bearings while you are at it.

note- I put my seals in with a long straight stick (broom stick with no broom on it) and a socket roughly the correct size of the seal (metal part). I get it started by putting the seal in place (passenger side) and tap it lightly with the side of the hammer because there isnt alot of room inside the diff. Then I go to the opposite side (driver side) knuckle, insert the stick thru the diff, lay down in front of the diff, place the socket on the seal, place the stick on the socket, hold it in place with my foot, get up, hammer passenger side seal in place from the drivers side knuckle, thru the diff. Its backyard, but it gets the job done.

if anyone knows a better, cheaper, easier way, I am interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode