axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

axles

86 gmc half ton without counting the bolts whick diffs do i more than likely have? havet got it out of the body shop yet so cant look and see just scaning ebay for arb air lockers and gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: axles

You most likely have GM 10-bolts. Most guys will tell you that instead of adding lockers and better gears to a 10-bolt, you should upgrade to a Dana 60 front and 14-bolt rear.
My 10-bolts have over 200,000 miles on them without a problem, but I don't wheel hard either.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

im not going to play ruff with this truck is more of a daily driver with 35's so i shouldnt have any axle problems yeah i hope there 10 bolts found some gears cheap... Now thats a 8.5 or 8.2 ring gear? and what spline axles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Old Hand

if it is half ton, you have 10 bolts. now, ideally you could throw under 14 bolts. semi floater or full floater.

10 bolts are not real strong stock, but can be upgraded. the magic of the 10 bolt is what it was used in both cars and trucks, so there are many parts out there at a low price.

there are many aftermarket diffs out there. you need to take a look at each one, see which one fits your application best. the big downside of the 10 bolt are the stock axles. but, your in luck because upgrade axles are very common and cheep. summit racing has just about everything that you will need.

there are at least 2 different bearing sizes that hold the diff in the rear. so you want to confirm which one you have before ordering any parts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

whats the commmon ring gear size and axles size factory?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

OK went to body shop got the RPO codes I have 3.08 gears YUK!!!! but on the good side i saw G80 so that means locking differntal i counted the bolts it is a 10 bolt.. so my question is what size ring gear do i have ? and how many splines on front axle so i can order a locker..

also back in the day i seem to remember something about if you had small size gears you had a smaller carrier and you could only go up so high on gears? im wanting to install 4.11 or 456 more than likely 4.11's i dont want to be over geared to much cuz im going to be driving this truck everday i think they will pull 35's alot better than 3.08s LOL whats our opion?? and what the front end called dana 44 ? thanks for yalls help too!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm pretty sure your spline count is 28. It changed to 30 in 88 or 89.
You should be good with 4.11s. I'm planning on going with 4.56 on my suburban, and 35 inch tires. I figure that since the burb is so heavy, it can use the help.
The Dana 44 is another 1/2-ton, and sometimes 3/4-ton axle GM used in the 70s and early 80s.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

im just trying to figure out what kinda diff and splin count it has on the frontend so i can order a locker LOL why must they make so darn many
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Old Hand

your front end is likely a GM 10 bolt. early 80's the gm 10 bolt replaced the dana 44.

the G80 works, but its not strong. i'd not subject it to 35's.

i think if you change the timken bearings you should be able to put just about anything you want in there gear wise. depending on the diff you want to install, you might have to change the timken bearings anyway. i'd look into everything you want to put in there before ordring anything.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM

I found a tech sheet a while back on detroit lockers site with a lot of good info, such as what you are asking for. I have a printed off copy, but here is the link to it.

http://www.detroitlocker.com/Techtips.htm

Also, in case you get four wheeler mag and keep old issues, the June 2001 issue is one that I keep readily available and look back to very often. It has a 2 page article about the 73 to 87 model and goes over the axles, motors, trannys, transfer cases, etc. that were used over the years and what models they came on. It also gives advice on what to avoid and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode