Anyone using a 14bsf 6 lug on their 80's Chevy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Anyone using a 14bsf 6 lug on their 80\'s Chevy?

Hi everyone -

I'm looking into replacing my stock 10b with a 14bsf with 6 lugs. As I understand, these were only available on certain 90s model trucks and would not be a direct bolt in replacement on my '86. I'm trying to figure out just how much modification it would take to make this axle work. I'm assuming that the spring pads would have to be moved, but who about the e-brake? How much modification to get that to work (if any)?

Just throwing some ideas around to see if this is feasible...

Oh yeah, the reason that I want to have a 6 lug axle is because I want to keep my factory aluminum wheels... I'm trying to keep the truck looking like stock for the most part, but with heavy duty parts behind it. By next summer, my truck will hopefully have 35's and will be doing some towing duty as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Old Hand

Re: Anyone using a 14bsf 6 lug on their 80\'s Chevy?

you would have to rig something with the shocks.

what year exactly is your truck? i'm not sure if the same 6 lug wheels will swap between a solid axle gen truck and the first years of the IFS.

I actually ran across a semi floater 6 lug the other day in the junk yard. The only down side that i know if is the locker's can be a bit pricy. This was an open rear, and it had already had a few parts removed so i had to leave it sitting there. Replacing the 10 bolt with the 14 bolt semi floater is basically a bolt in operation for IFS half tons.

But, again, i think your big draw back is the wheels are different between the gen of trucks you are dealing with.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Journeyman

As far as the rims go, I think the older rims (80s) will fit the IFS trucks, but IFS rims wont fit the older trucks. I think the hubs are smaller on the newer IFS trucks. Not 100% on that though

Rebil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Old Hand

i think the paterns are the same, not sure tho. one thing in know is the IFS take a metric lug nut and metric stud.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I've got an '86 truck. I'd love to find one with a LSD in it already. My truck is mostly a highway queen, so I probably won't ever get a locker in the rear.

Does anyone know if the overall width is the same? What about from spring to spring?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I made a couple of calls, and found a 14bsf axle out at a local yard. Guy says it's in a '93 2500 2WD and it has 6 lugs. He doesn't know for certain what gears are in it, but he said that these were common with 3.42s.

Said he'd let it go for $350. I'll prolly go take a look at it sometime next week.

I'm surprised about the gearing that he thinks it is... I wouldn't think that a 3/4 ton truck would have come with 3.42 gearing. I was hoping for 3.73 or 4.10... granted, he hasn't verified, so it could be different. Were 3.42s common though in 90's model trucks? My dad had a '93 half ton Z71 and it had 3.73s.

Anyone have any off hand knowledge of this era of trucks?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM

The rims shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's the older style rim going to the new style axle. I had a '93 GMC that I swapped the rims and tires from my 85. The center holes are smaller I believe on the new ones, that is why I said you can't go new to old. And as was said earlier, the newer ones use metric studs

I can see why you'd want to get rid of the 10 bolts, but why not make your life a little easier and upgrade to just a 12 bolt instead (found on the '73's to '82's)? Not as strong as the 14, but more readily available. Do you feel you really need the 14? I too am upgrading to a 14 bolt in the rear of my Jimmy, but for the last year there has been a 12 bolt under it that I swapped in and have been beating the piss out of with no issues. But since I have been beefing everything else up on it, I figured the 14 was the next step since I will likely go bigger than the 36's I have on it down the road. In addition, this 12 bolt was the axle out of my prior trail rig which also saw a few years of hard trail ridding. The only difference was that it was behind a tired 350 at that time. Just my 2 cents.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I've considered this move as well. Although I probably don't NEED a 14 bolt, I am a fan of overkill... I figured that if I could put in a 14b easily and cheaply, why not?

I'm still somewhat in the discovery phase of this project, so I'm still not ruling out a 12b. I've actually found a 12b and a matching d44 on coloradok5, but I'm not a member, so I can't message the guy. I'm trying to figure out a way to contact him without paying dues... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll keep ya'll posted.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Old Hand

12 bolts are common enough. swapping between the same generation of truck might save some trouble.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:29 PM

3.42's are pretty common in the 6-lug SF. They came in LD 2500's and 1500's with special towing packages. The 2wd versions are a couple of inches narrower than their 4x4 counterparts. I would suggest 12bolt, or, grab a 8-lug 14SF that will bolt in, then swap the axleshafts and do a disk brake swap to 6-lug. There are many lockers available, the LR is only around $300, but the Det, Eaton, and the like are closer to $600. I swapped a 2wd version into my 93 K1500 after I grenaded the 10b, it was almost too narrow, but it was what I had to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode