Tires/Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Tires/Lift

On my 78 GMC, I have a friend that has 36 inch military tires for sale..6 tires for $300. Sounds like a really good deal, i'm just wondering if these would fit. The fenders are basically rusted out, so trimming a lot wouldn't be a problem. Would I need any lift to fit these, and if so, how much? I basically just use this truck for football games(long bed is great for a couch, and the loud pipes make everyone know i'm there), and I use this truck for muddy dirt roads to get into the fields on the farm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Tires/Lift

Granted I haven't seen your truck in person but I have seen military CUCV trucks with those tires on them at the stock height. Doesn't look like a lot of space around them but it does look like they fit.

If your springs are stock and aren't too saggy they just might fit. If they rub, get out the hammer and sawzall. If you're lifted the chances of them fitting just get better. Probably be slow as hell with the high gears GM used to like to use though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 AM

If youre willing to trim they should fit. May need some add-a-leaves if your springs have started to sag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
On my 78 GMC, I have a friend that has 36 inch military tires for sale..6 tires for $300. Sounds like a really good deal, i'm just wondering if these would fit. The fenders are basically rusted out, so trimming a lot wouldn't be a problem. Would I need any lift to fit these, and if so, how much? I basically just use this truck for football games(long bed is great for a couch, and the loud pipes make everyone know i'm there), and I use this truck for muddy dirt roads to get into the fields on the farm.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can usually get the 36" miltary tires and H1 wheels for about 30-40 each, tire/wheel combo. I paid 40.00 each for my H1 Hummer wheels with the 36" tires (90-100% tread). I won't be using the tires, I just wanted the wheels.. as many other do. You should be able to find just the tires for much cheaper than 50.00 each.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Where are you finding these tires for that cheap? Around here, they're very scarce and very expensive. He bought these tires with Ford 6-lug rims for 550. He was trying to sell them for 500, but he'd sell em for 300 to me. To me, this is a deal, because I just put 225/75R-15's on the Jeep for 330 mounted and balanced, and these tires are 36's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Well, I guess if they are hard to come by over there, then you don't have much choice. Here in Texas, there are people who buy them by the trailer full. Then they usually sell the ones they don't want/need for about 30 bucks a pop. Except for the 12 bolt H1's, they usually go for more.

One reason they sell cheap is they are plentyful here, and also they are not very good trail tires. So that combo means there is always plenty around for cheap. In my case, I'll only use mine to roll the truck around on until I'm ready for my tires. Then I probably see if my father in law needs them for anything on his farm equipment... if not, I'll probably sell them for a 100.00 or so for all 5. I "may" see about using them for "street tires" to save my good tires for the trail, but not likely.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 AM

Oh, also, you know they are for a 16.5" rim right? I wouldn't suggest airing down much if you run the 16.5 rim, since it doesn't have the safety bead that other rims have. Either that, or go with beadlocks.

My personal opinion is that you would probably be better off finding a set of good used 36's in another tread pattern, and rim size. The military Wranglers aren't worth squat for much of anything .. except giving the GI's something to aim at when they take a leak in the desert. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I know they're for a 16.5" rim. I wasn't planning on airing them down at all, because the truck, considering the sh!tty gas mileage, is only gonna be drivin for work when we have to move cattle, football game, and playin in a few local mud holes. I was in Indianapolis for the last 5 days, so I didn't have a chance to talk to the guy, but when I called him today, he had already sold them, so i guess I've gotta look for another set of tires. Any suggestions for a high school student on a limited budget?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM

My first suggestion would be to look through the tires/wheels "for sale" section of the coloradoK5.com forum. There are guys from ALL OVER there, and there is a good chance you may find something very close to you, or close enough to drive over and get. I know many times I've seen something worth getting, it always seemed like it was over in your neck of the woods, or out that way. Also keep an eye on the local paper. But do check out the CK5 site.. there are always tires for sale there. There might even be someone close to you whos got a set of the same military ones.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've thought about bidding on some at www.govliquidation.com, but haven't done it as of yet. They usually have lots of 10 or more tire wheel combos.
I don't even know what I'd do with that many tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode