spooling my hp 44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

spooling my hp 44

i called randys ring and pinion and have got the d44 spool in route as wee speak. its the 30 spline unit. anyways i was curious what axles i should should toss in while ive got it tore back down.

i was thinkn some moly shafts and ox ujoints. ive got about 600 dollar budget right now so i may have to order parts as cash becomes avalable. meaning it may be awhile before i have all the traction goodies to send the boggers screaming.

the chevy is still open in the rear and i think ill leave it. the hubs in the front should be able to be used well in th3e snow. meaning that if i need to be on snow roads i can just lock the short side in and leave the long side unlocked.

i couldnt figure spendy so much more on detroit that basicaly is spool with alittle give in it. maybe it would be used in the rear some day.

anyways im just curious what all axles you guys recomend.

thanks
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: spooling my hp 44

i think ive talked myself into running the supier axles. the baddest strongest ones they make. this is also what they recomend at off road desing .com ive come to belive they know what theyre talking about and doing in the off road world

also wondering if i mayas well spend the money and throw ctm u joints in to. wich i think i should do because my tire size is hopfully going to be in the 37-40 range

anyways thanks for the advice. and space to think
'
van
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

That sounds like a good combination to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Journeyman

My brother runs Warn Chrome moly shafts with the ctms and a limited slip front with 37s in his 44 with great success.
His is on the right in the attached pic/

Rebil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1542268-scan0002.jpg (187.8 KB, 23 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 PM

ORD is a great place to get parts from. From what I've read, the Superior axles are the ones to get, as are the CTM joints. I've read, and agree, that the Spool is easier on the front end than a Detroit because it doesn't pop in and out. If you have a T/Case that can be twin sticked I would suggest doing that too. You may also want to try some fusable hubs with that setup, just to be safe. As long as you're not hammering on it with the wheels turned you should be OK. Let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM

i was going to use a mini-spool on my d44, but after reading and researching i found out that the axle shafts break too easy under load. i9nstead of spending alot of money on a 1/2 ton axel im gonna save it towards the purchase of a d60, then lock it up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i now agree.

im running on welded 10 bolts now. why spend money on them. felded welded spiders, then fully welded spiders to carrier theyre holding up so far and make crazy traction off road.only lock one hub in when only kinda needing 4wd drive lock both in when 4 tires chruning are need.

also wont spend money on my 14ff. its welded and waiting for my small 35 boggers to wear out.

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode