How to remove doors, '84 Suburban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How to remove doors, \'84 Suburban

Hi, I am a visitor from the Jeepster board.

I am considering replacing both dented driver's side doors on my '84 suburban tow rig with junk yard doors rather than doing the body work they need.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the doors off. Do I need a special wrench to get to the hinge bolts? If so, where do I get such a tool?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Old Hand

Re: How to remove doors, \'84 Suburban

the doors are held in place with that pin that goes between the hinges. if you lift up on the door just enough to get the weight off the hinges, you can bang those pins up and out. it is easier said than done. you need to have the door lifted perfect to get the weight off the hinge. and to make matters worse you have to deal with the fact that hinge has a grove in it after a million or so openings and closings. The first one might come out easy, but that second one is a bear. You need two people to do the job. A floor jack to lift the door is a big help.

the doors are likely hanging down on your truck, due to worn hinges. there is a kit out there you can get to fix that. you drill out the hinge hole and replace it with piece with an off center hole. you can then rotate this piece, rotating the hole, to line up the door correctly again. Classic industries or year one might sell the kit.

you adjust how the door hangs by adjusting the striker. but, you often have to slam the door good to get it to close all the way if the hinges are shot.

so, in short there is no easy way. if you are not going for perfection you might want to repair the door.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my experience the hinge pins come out without much effort and in the 4 or 5 cases where I've replaced pins and bushings I've never had to drill out the old ones, just tap them out and replace with the new ones in the kit. The floor jack under the door works, use a 2x4 to distribute the lift, or if you've got a shop crane (ceiling or cherry picker type) open the window and wrap a towel around the top of the door, lift from there. With the second method you don't have to worry about it falling over, and it's now a one man job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the info guys. I can use my chain hoist to lift the doors at home, but I'll need to figure out something portable at the pick-a-part. I'll do some more research; maybe its time to take a body-work class at a local community college [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Old Hand

if you are going to pick a part, you could try to hacksaw the hinge on the truck side. the parts truck is going to be scrap metal anyway. you could also cut the hinge pin and then beat it out with a hammer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

Just unbolt the six bolts and take the hinge with you. It is a 9/16" head you can hit with a wrench. I take mine off and put them back on all by myself and i am only 5'8" 150 lbs. Not a hard job, just akward. Easy with a buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode