5.3 into 1980's k10? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

5.3 into 1980\'s k10?

ive always wanted an 80s chevy truck. but after having a k5 and a few other older rigs ive come to hate the fuel mileage and dependability of a 20 year old carbed engine. so ive decided that i want an 80s k10 shortbed to repaint, re interior, and drop in a 5.3 vortech engine. anyone here done this swap? know of any sites with the swap on it?

i also want to run a 4" and 33" on it . what in yalls experience is the smoothest riding 4" lift for this truck. also are there any tricks to geting a smooth ride out of a k10?

im not real sure if i want to get an auto and run that or get a stick and run an nv4500. what do yall think. it will not see much offroading. ive got a couple other trucks for that, ill mostly just tow and daily drive it. im hoping with a 5.3 i can get some 1/2 way decent mileage out of it. my other choice is a tacoma....id rather have the k10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Old Hand

Re: 5.3 into 1980\'s k10?

that is a heck of a project.

i've never tried something like that myself. but, i know there are some major issues you are going to have to overcome.

i guess you should start at the start. what parts do you have? the 5.3 might not be the best option. i say this because of the LS1. The big edge with the LS1 is aftermarket support. A few different companies have come up with packages to swap those motors into F and X bodies. For you non car people those are camaros and novas. This means stand alone computers and all the parts you need to bolt it into an older car/truck.

as for a trans, you can go with something stock for the LS1 or 5.3. so you have to get the ECM to talk to it. and you are going to need a transfer case if you want 4x4. again, a problem because the stock fuel injected motor has the transfer case output shaft on the wrong side. so, another non stock swap there.

money. another big force in life. this is not something you can do with just junk yard parts. this will require a good deal of cash. look at spending a bunch on the resto, and maybe 5 grand extra for the modern motor.

just some thoughts.

lifts are easy. cross over steering, 4 new leaf springs and shocks. it will ride fine. Good search cross over steering to learn more.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with MouseMotor. I really think you'd want to stick with an engine that you can get a stand-alone computer for. Somebody may build one for a 5.3, I don't know. But I think it would be a whole lot of drama to try and adapt a factory computer to make your engine work.
As for the springs, I have Superlift Super-ride 4" springs all around and really like them. They're nice and soft. A lot of guys swear by BDS and Tuff Country, but I've never tried them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
motohead77

I believe the vortec motor would be a great choice find a used one and get it rebuilt. The bolt pattern for that motor is the exact same for all the older chevy small blocks which means that you can have a stand alone trans like the 700r4 I have behind my 383 in my 81 chevy. You dont need a computer for this trans and so far its held up great to my 35 bfg mud terrains and lockers. Monster motor sports built my trans. This trans will accept the adapters for the np208 which I have. Or the th350 or 400 also all match up to this motor. As far as the motor goes I believe painless wiring makes a stand alone computer and harness to retrofit this motor into anything you want. They also make harness for the 6.0 liter and the 5.3. Advance adapters also makes kits for all kinds of trans and engine combos. The vortec is an awesome motor and can easily make upwords of 400 horsepower with this full roller cam motor. You would need to upgrade valve springs and spring pockets for anything over .484 of lift scoggin dicky chevrolet has heads that are already upgraded for you for under $700 bucks
And also upgrade injectors and have computer reburned but there are tons of companies that will redo this for your application. I would highly recommend painless because they have some computers already set up for this. Hope this helps Colby -- [email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1536396-chevy81.jpg (90.7 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode