ready for the lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:18 PM
heynowjoey

ready for the lift

So I've got all the money ready for a lift and i was wondering what would get me to about level ride height.

I'm going with the ORD 4" shackle flip, and would guess about 3.5 inches of lift from that in the rear

For the frount im thinking about a 3" spring and 1/4" longer ORD Shackle. I'd imagine that the stock 3 leaf springs are tired and a 3 1/4" lift would gain more like 4 inches of total lift.

Am i right in this assumption?
or should i just get a 4 inch lift spring in the front.

with the 3" spring i think ill get a 2" drop pitman arm and with the 4" i think ill go wiht the steering arm

the brand i have chosen is Tuff country EZ ride brand.

Thanks all

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Old Hand

Re: ready for the lift

why not go with a 4 inch kit? it comes with all the parts. Just a thought, because your in there replacing everything anyway. and i don't know if there is such thing as a 2 inch drop arm, i think they start at 4.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 AM

Just one other thing to think of if your worried above the level of your vehicle. From your bio looks like you have a 30 year old 3/4 ton. What kind of life has it had and how has that affected the shape of those rear springs? I had an '85 long box that was bought brand new by my dad and babied it's whole life, other than it's yearly duty as a wood hauler. The stock springs showed that when I put a lift and only used blocks for the rear. That one should have either had a new leaf pack, or at least an add a leaf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 PM
heynowjoey

Skyjaker makes a 2 inch drop PITMAN arm, which is the arm on the box, not the one your thinking of which is the steering arm that bolts to the axel tube.

I would go with a 4 but i hear that the rear shackle flip only truly nets about 3.5-3.75 on the rear, and the front sees a more drastic lift because the front springs wear faster then the rears (motor is on them 24/7) so im mostly afraid of having the front higher then the rear.

I think a 3" would keep the rear a tad higher so if i put a load in it or tow, it will level out.

what do you think?

XJer, the springs are in real real good shape and the truck was an old farm truck. they have plenty more life left in them but that was a good point to bring up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Old Hand

I'd stick with not doing the shackle flip. I investigated it for a friend's truck, and the speed shop dissuaded me from doing it. They said people had "problems" with them if the trucks were driven on road.

Personally, I'd go with 4 new springs shocks exc. Again, just because it is a kit that that has all the pieces that you know fit together.

Also, your gonna want to reinforce the searing box area of the frame. There are a few kits out there, with a few different ways of doing it. But don't over look that area.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM
heynowjoey

Definatly stregthening the steering box for shure, thanks for the warning, ive heard about people loosing boxes before and i dotn want to be on the trail and drop it, haha

Im going to call ORD and ask them what they'd do, that shackle flip is my primary question. thanks for that warning as well.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode