Going to look at a few trucks this weekend...tips? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Going to look at a few trucks this weekend...tips?

I'm going to San Antonio to look at a few trucks this weekend... any tips or advise for specific things to look for? I'm going to look at a '76, '78, and an '84. The '78 has a 400ci, the others have newly rebuilt 350's (not sure how newly though). I'm assuming that the 70's models have D44's, 12bolt rears, and NP203's, but the ads didn't say (calling the guys tonight, but no garauntee that they'll know).

What should I look at specifically? Any thing that I should look for that would be an instant turn off? I'll check them all for stress cracks on the frame around the steering box... other than that, not sure what to look for. Tips?

Thanks,

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Old Hand

Re: Going to look at a few trucks this weekend...tips?

rust. the inner and outer rockers. also, the floor pan toward the rear and where you put your feet. also check the body mounts on both the body and the frame.

i don't think the 203 was used in all those years. but, i don't think there is a t case out there you need to avoid. people like the 205, but i don't think there is really a bad chevy case.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 70s could have either an np205 or 203. I really haven't figured out yet what made the deciding factor, customer preference? You're correct on the axles. MouseMotor pointed out the other good spots.

One thing I thought of, on the 70s the hood doesn't pivot on an axis so much as it folds down and tucks in towards the cowl. That motion along with people not greasing the hood hinges can bend and fatigue the hood in the middle of the outter edges. Also make sure it has the dual tanks, some only had singles. A single 16 or 20 gal would just suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Old Hand

if you really want to be picky, there are a few more spots you can check for rust. behind the rear fender wells tend to get mud and junk stuck there. over time, it rusts from the inside out. also, the rear of the front fenders is also a rust spot. again, dirt and junk builds up in there and rusts from the inside out.

i'd be looking for a truck that no one has messed with before. something nice and stock. just because you don't want to be trying to fix 100 little hack job repairs. for some unknown reason, everyone feels the need to rewire old cars that are perfectly fine. these rewire jobs are almost always hack jobs. if you see lots of wires hanging out under the dash or the remains of old wires used for lights, you might want to look at another truck.

chevy fuel and brake lines also like to rust. check for that, and hack job repairs to the lines.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. You are completely correct about the wiring... it's hard enough finding shorts in factory systems, much less someone elses rewire.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Another question... Originally, I was looking strictly for a short bed. I have found a very intruiging long bed though... any difference at all aside from the 2 extra feet of bed?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uhhh, 2 more feet of frame? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorry...

If you lift it the long bed will have better driveshaft angles, less chance of a vibration developing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I was going to mention the frame as well, but thought better of it.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good point on the lifts... from the looks of it, this one is already lifted a bit, so hopefully I'll just be able to slap some decent tires on there and go.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Old Hand

the locals of the fuel tanks and size of the tanks may be different. other than that, basically the same truck.

tanks tend to rust, so if you want to be real picky check for that. but, to replace them it is not much time or money.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

would a long bed always have dual tanks? is it just that they are both on the same side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode