More newbie Q's... Freeze Plug, Temp Ctrl vacuum - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:32 AM
adam7985

More newbie Q\'s... Freeze Plug, Temp Ctrl vacuum

I'm starting to feel like a 5 year old here.... "why does...", "why is...", "why... why why..." (sure do appreciate the help though)!

Newest project... beater '86 Blazer, 305, AOD. Got my starter issues all wrapped up and was going to head towards the NIGHTMARE of screwed up vacuum lines but the Ol' Blazer throws me a twist. I popped the cap off of the radiator and couldn't see any coolant. THREE GALLONS LATER... it's full. Wasn't planning on this one! Seems I have a very small drip right above (/right around) the starter. You'd think I would have noticed that when redoing the starter wires but this truck has sat for a long time (+/- 1 year and I had it towed to my house) so the coolant must have been already below the level of leaking.

Dropped the starter last night hoping for obvious signs of the leak... that goopie half-dried green sticky telltale stuff. No such luck. For whatever reason this engine has been repainted at some point and I had peeling paint all over the block. Wire brushed as much as I could and wiped the block down with a rag. Will have to redo this whole episode again some time soon after a little time of the mystery drip thing dripping some more. Here's my Q though.... are there any freeze plugs on the BACK of the block to be concerned about? (Between the engine and trans)? Just curious and I don't have a removed engine around to check it out.

Next Q... kind of a stupid one... anyone know where the temperature control gets it's vacuum source? I have a MESS to sort out in the way of engine vacuum lines (whatever I have bothered to trace so far is hooked up entirely wrong). But in the meantime my temp ctrl won't switch from heat to vent to defrost, and there's no normal small hissing sound... so I'm sure the vaccum lead is probably disconnected or chopped. Need to find that lead and hook it up..... straight to manifold vacuuum I assume?

Thanks again and sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
adam7985

Re: More newbie Q\'s... Freeze Plug, Temp Ctrl vacuum

Hate to reply to my own questions with more questions... but I have to ask this. Usually when I hear about someone wanting to rip off all their emission controls to make their engine prettier or make the car/truck go .001 mph faster... I think to myself, "The stuff is there for a reason- leave it be". Well, here I am now, the guy asking the question. It's a 1986 305, 4bbl ECM, 700 trans, vac diagram code "YDR". The truck is twenty years old. How necessary really IS all this vacuum stuff? Wondering what the odds are that any of it still works anyways. I guess what I'm looking for here is for someone to say "I ripped all my stuff off and it runs fine".

I dunno. Looks like most of my stuff is THERE, but some of it is cut, some is plugged, some is bypassed, and I have (estimating) probably about 5 or 6 hose ends just left open and ignored.

I'm thinking to myself, from past experience, that the most important vacuum line is the distributor advance to ported vacuum so I get advance during acceleration (which it already is... that's one of the lines where someone just ignored the whole vacuum diagram). If I rip all this other stuff off am I going to regret it? There are two parts that I don't recognize or understand, and don't know how wise it would be to unplug. And that's assuming they even ARE plugged in correctly.... "TRANS CONV VAC SW" (a who?) and a "TIP IN VAC SW" (a what)? Those sound important. I don't very much understand the 700R4 trans, but I thought most all of the actual controls were via the TV cable. No clue what a "TRANS CONV VAC SW" does.

Maybe I just need to take a break and take the rest of the weekend off from this thing... would love any input... even if it's "you're stupid- don't do it".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Old Hand

hate to say, but there are freeze plugs on the back. although, i've never had a chevy leak. i'd look at the freeze plugs last, mostly because i hate replacing them. not that it can't be done, but what a pain.

vacuum lines are a hard call. most are there for a reason. but who knows what people have done with them in the past. for the most part you don't need them, BUT there are a few you do. you are most likely alright taking most off. just make sure that you remember how they went in case you need to put it back together. the best rule, if you don't know what it is don't take it apart.

as for the heat, the short answer is from the motor. you are on the right track tho, something some where is off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:58 AM
adam7985

Well..... got the peeling paint, grease, and gunk cleaned off the block and got a better look at things. The freezeplugs are fine! It's the TWO CRACKS in the block (one on each side) that I'm a little more concerned about now.....

UGH. Ever feel like ya' just can't win?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Old Hand

ew, no good.

time for JB Weld.

on the bright side there are tons of small blocks in junk yards for not to much green. i'm not sure how much money you plan on putting into it, but for a grand or so you could pick up a new short block with a cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode