early 80's restore... costs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

early 80\'s restore... costs?

Hi everyone -

I'm looking into getting an old Chevy to restore and build. I'm not going to do anything extreme... probably not even lift it for a while. I'm more interested in doing engine work and what not first.

Anyway, I've found an '81 that I should be able to get a good deal on. The body is in good shape, but it's a couple of different colors (front end and bed are red, cab and doors are blue). The guy that owns it now bought this running truck and a parts truck, and then switched the bodies because the running truck was rusty.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost to do a couple of things to the body....

Outside -

How much for a decent paint job? Doesn't have to be top of the line, but it needs to be good as this will eventually be my daily driver and I like to have a shiny truck.

Various trip pcs and name plates - where can I get these, and do they cost an arm and a leg?

Inside -

I'd like to get the interior painted at the same time as the outside and the same color. At the same time, I can get the seat recovered (cost?) and replace the dash if necessary. What does a dashboard run these days?

Anyhow, I'm just trying to get an idea of the cost. I need to figure out how much it's going to be so that I can decide to get this truck and do the work on it, or hold out for one in better shape. Either way, my budget is fairly limited (wife want's a new kitchen....).

Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: early 80\'s restore... costs?

Paint job, $2000-$3500 in this area. $3500 being a damned nice paint job. If it's a DD you'll want any small dents fixed, have all the molding matched, or smoothed off; in which case there will be holes in the body to fill. It depends on how much body work needs to be done before paint.

Seat, covered ~$70-$100 at a shop I know of. About $250 to have the seat totally rebuilt: springs, padding, cover.

Dash, watch eBay, that's probably the best bet. NOS (new old stock) ones can go for $100-$250, depends on demand at the moment. NOS ones are original GM and fit the best.

As for the trim pieces/emblems check www.lmctruck.com and www.chevyduty.com (there's another that I forget), they've got a few. Otherwise back to eBay. I've toyed with the idea of putting the newer style emblems (GMC 2500) off of like a 2002 on my truck when it gets a paint job. In which case, eBay...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. That's about what I was thinking for the paintjob. Thanks for the other sites... I'll check them out soon.

So what do you guys think a good price to pay for a good running truck with a multicolored body? The truck I'm looking at has a 350ci/TH350, NP208, 10bolt front and rear. Motor has been recently rebuilt (not sure how long ago), and the frame is in good shape. The body is 3 different colors, but no rust and all straight. The interior is not trashed, but not in great shape. Tires and rims aren't great, but they will work for now. I don't believe that the A/C works.

Knowing all of that, what do you think a good price would be? I'm going to go check it out next week... I'll know more info then.

Thanks,

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What model? (Chevy - Silverado, Scottsdale, Custom Deluxe; GMC - Sierra, High Sierra, Sierra Grande, Sierra Classic) What other options aside from A/C? Cruise, tilt wheel, PWs, PDLs, dual fuel tanks, cargo light, quad shocks in front...um, that's all I can think of right now. Does the 350 have a 4-brrl? Does the front axle have manually locking hubs or the original style automatic ones?

Shoot around here you can get a running 4x4 for $250 (mechanics special, but it'll go down the road). Otherwise ones that are in good shape bring a minimum of $1000 on auctions, up to $3000ish.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

All good questions... I'll investigate and advise. Any advice on where to look for trucks? I'm perusing the paper, autotrader (online and in print), and ebay. So far, very few in the Texas area...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is unfortunate, I see anywhere from 5-10 whenever I grab a paper nickelsaver or something like it. Very few 1-tons, mostly 1/2 $ 3/4 ton 4x4s. Some with lifts and tires, some stock, some used and abused. You're looking in all the places I would. I grew up in a farming community so I know of a few auctioneering companies that have spring and fall surplus equipment auctions, there are always trucks on there. You might try keeping your eyes open for any auction fliers, there has got to be some. There is a huge auctioneering company over in Seattle that has a yearly auction of all the vehicles that were seized plus utility and municicpal vehicles. Easily 200-300 vehicles.

Example: http://www.bookerauction.com/auctions/auction.php?i=5 There is a Spring Surplus Equipment Auction that has 13 or 14 trucks varying from 1973-1987. Ohhhhh upon further examination I spy a 1960 4x4, that might be worth checking out. If it's original it's gonna have a Napco Pow-r-Pak 4x4 system, kinda rare now a days.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

You might try govliquidation.com as well. They often list M1008/M1009's in various states of repair, anything from an empty body to a ready to go truck. With Ft Hood not too far from you, you might just luck out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:43 AM
crossy

when you are checking the local trader mags don't forget that anything older than 1985 gets put into the classic trader now. I fight with them all the time about when i list one of mine. the only way to get an 84-older listed in the regular truck trader is to walk it into the office and insist on it being the regular one. the on-line listing wont even let you put it into the regular trader if it's older than 85. I often put 85 up grilles in my older ones(81-84) so i list them as 85's then have to tell people what year it is as soon as they call.
ANYWAY- i have been playing with 73-87's as my hobby for 20+ year and you may not think it to be a big issue in Tx. but i visit there occasionally and have good friends in the Dallas area and i can tell you that they are rusty there too. It's still hard to find one that does not need cab corners at a minumum , but just make sure you dont find one that has been transplanted there from the North or East that has floor/rocker/bed rust.
Check brakelines in th rear frame for scaly rust.
Most STOCK axle ratios suck from 78-86. Commonly 3.08's.
MOST ALL stock small blocks in 1/2 tons from 81-86 are 305's NOT 350's but people try to pass them as 350's. MOST are changed by now anyway.
ANY O/D auto is a 700R4 and they are costly to rebuild.

DAVE
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave. How can I confirm that a truck has a 350 in it?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 81 Jimmy Sierra. It had a 305 in it, but a lobe on the cam wore down. After a rebuild, the engine let go again, now it has a brand new 350 basic crate motor in it. The vehicle only had 22k miles when I bought it in 1999. It has 70k on it now. The drive train is my first step. Tranny and xfer case next. I am a poor person, so I will do this in steps, but it is much cheaper than a new truck.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode