Other good ol chevy sites? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Other good ol chevy sites?

Hey guys -

I'm getting ready to get into the market for a late '70's Chevy 4X4 with a 350. I've been checking on this site off and on for the past couple of years and have found a lot of good info. What other sites can I read up on before and after I get my truck?

I'm basically looking for any and all info, so the more the better. Also, what are some good sites to find trucks for sales? I'm in Austin, Texas and would like to find one close to me if possible. I've been looking on autotrader and ebay just to get an idea of price, but haven't seen many (or any) in Texas so far. I'm not in a hurry, but if you guys have any other places to look, that would be cool.

Speaking of... what are some main things to look at? I've heard about the potential frame damage near the steering box... is there any way to fix that if there are cracks? Also heard that it's hard to distinguish a 350 from a 305 just by sight. How can I be sure it's a 350 I'm getting?

Thanks for all the help.

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Other good ol chevy sites?

ColoradoK5 is another site that has a ton of info about this vintage.

I see them all the time in NickelSavers (weekly classified newspapers), I'm sure there's got to be something in Texas like that. Oh...those Truck Trader magazines, they've got one for rigs under $5k, or over $5k, something like that.

There are bolt in and weld in frame repair plates for the steering box issue.

Dunno on IDing the motor, if you're after a late 70s you're looking at a 350, 400, 454 in stock form.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

www.austink5.net is a good site and they're local to you. Also check pirate4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

whoops, that went in twice
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Old Hand

yes, the frame around the steering box is an issue if the truck is lifted. the box tends to push through the frame. this is not a huge issue because with the proper parts it can be repaired.

there are a bunch of different ways to see if you have a 350 or 305. to many to list.

you can check the vin or the door of the truck. keep in mind the motor could have been changed.

the best way of telling is reading the block code of the truck. in front of the even cylinder head should be a number stamped into the block. this number when decoded tells you what motor you have, and when the motor was made. so, you know if it is a 350 and when it was made. this tells you if it was the motor that came from the factory. motors that go into trucks should have been made about 4 months before the truck, that is a general rule of thumb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode