90 K2500 Hot starts pulls battery down to 8 volts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

90 K2500 Hot starts pulls battery down to 8 volts?

90 K2500 starts great when cold, When it has run for ~10 minutes if won't start for 10-15 minutes. I have put 3 different batteries and 2 starters with the same results. Battery is showing 12.6 before and after start attempt when hot and 8 when cranking hot, 11.8 when cold. Starters are from Autozone, I have had suggested that may be the problem but the first one was in for years before this problem started and then the new one had it immediately. Any Suggestions would help?
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 90 K2500 Hot starts pulls battery down to 8 volts?

How are the cables? They can corrode under the insulation near the terminal ends and cause a problem.

Only other thing I can think of is the solenoid on the older one was starting to go out, and the newer ones have less than robust solenoids to begin with. They might be collecting too much heat from the exhaust manifolds and acting like typical GMs (not functioning properly if they get hot). One thing you might look for is a starter heat shield.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

The starter does have a heat shield, I keep thinking that it must be with the starter but I have heard of cables causing problems but I would think it would do it all the time if it were corrosion, I'll replace the cable and see what happens, I had a recommendation to get a starter from Napa any comments?
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've put a NAPA starter on a 454 in a C2500 and it works great, after it gets hot it is slow cranking, no heat shield though. I dunno what Autozone's options are but I work at a Schuck's (same as Checker/Kragen) and we have 3 different grades of alternators/starters we sell.

Cheapest = Remanufactured unit, the maximum amount of parts are reused, they've done the bare minimum on remanufacturing to make it work. 3 month warranty.
Middle = Remanufactured unit, only the housing is used, all of the internal parts are brand new, as well as the solenoid (if it's a starter). Lifetime warranty, I think a 24month Roadside Assistance Guarantee.
Top Shelf = Brand New...everything, no reused parts. Lifetime Warranty, I think a 36month Roadside Assistance Guarantee.

Don't quote me on the roadside guarantees, I might be wrong; but I'm right on the warranty portion.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Old Hand

cables.

what often happens is they go bad inside. this causes resistance, and the truck not starting. one quick trick to see if you have a bad connection some place is to try and crank the motor over. then feel the cable connections. if one is hot, you have resistance and you have found the problem.

for what ever reason, i have had a few ground wires go bad on older chevy's i have had.

now, here is something that i ran across once. i was working on this F*rd motor that had a similar problem. it was driving me crazy. long story short, the damn starter was not getting a good ground. all the grease, dirt, and oil that got between the starter and the block actually insulated the starter to the point it would not turn the motor over.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Update, a new ground cable from battery to engine fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode