??? on blazer buildup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
83k5bigblaze

??? on blazer buildup

I have a 1983 K5 Blazer. I have a small blaock 350 with a turbo 400 and i think an NP208. The tranny is a replacement, so it is still good but the motoris a little tired. I have never done any engine work but i have friends willing to help. What tools do i need and any tricks to install. Also what is offered as far as rebuild kits. Are there kits? what brands? I was thinking about a new cam, headers and intake. i want more low end torque then top end horse power. also i think i am going to look for an NP205. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Old Hand

Re: ??? on blazer buildup

how much are you looking to spend on a motor? and the truck in total? what will you use the truck for? towing, only 4 wheeling, a nice street truck you can take out on the weekends to the woods?

by tired you mean the entire motor is shot, or just needs a tune up?

there are really no special tools you need to do anything on a blazer. it is old, so you will need a tourch to heat many pieces in order to get them free. a cheep way out is a MAPP gas tourch. i use oxy, but MAPPs are cheeper and i am told are hot enough to get the job done.

i'm helping a friend build a 90k5. so, i know what is out there and what things cost. so, let me know a little more and i'll be a good guide.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
83k5bigblaze

I am going to use the truck for weekend wheeling. It will be my second truck so not much street driving. It's not gonna win any beauty shows I just want to build a reliable 4x4. It will be used for trails and beach riding as i live on long island but i want to be able to use it in mud and tougher trails in the future. I am looking for an all around build up. The motor runs O.K. but it is showing its age. There is a local engine machine shop so i am going to go down there tomorrow and talk to the guy about machining the cylinders but the rest i want to do. I think i'm going to do more than just a tune up and am willing to spend the needed $$$$$ to do the project right. Should i invest in new heads, cam, intake, headers, carb, or just stick with what i got. Gas mileage is not a big deal because it will not be driven to often. i am not looking for an extreme engine but hope to get like 350 hp/350 torque maybe more if possibile while still maintaining the reliability of the engine. i was thinking about getting a torch to have as well so i will look into getting one.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Old Hand

if you have good oil pressure and the truck does not burn oil, i would not bother with the bottom end rebuild. if it is in sound shape, you don't need to build it up to make the power you are looking for. a new cam and top end will do great.

you can get world product racing heads for the same cost as having your old ones rebuilt in many cases. go for the 170 intake runner, 202 160 valves, cast heads. oh, 64 cc chamber. that is at the top end of streetabe and will not cause you any issues. assuming you have a flat top piston, you are gonna get 10:1 or so depending on the cam. which will run fine. they are about a grand, but they are new.

summit racing also has some stock replacements, for just under $700. not as good as a world head, but still just fine. they are an improvement over your stockers for sure. you make lots of power with heads, but also can spend lots of $$$$.

for your carb and intake i like edelbrock products. they are not the best out there, but they work and they are cheep. plus, easy to work with for people who don't know the ins and outs of holly and other high end carbs. you want the vacuum secondary 600 or 650 cfm carb. those work great with a performer intake. again, not to over the top and will work good for you. you might need a hire volume fuel pump, i dont know what carb you have stock.

headers, good investment as well. plus a good exhaust system. you can burn your starter up tho with headers, but if you get a good racing starter it is not an issue.

while you are in there, get a brand new HEI. they are around $100 and will replace any old or bad parts.

that motor above, depending on what you do, will make an honest 300 hp.

that takes care of the motor. just a quick over view. your best bet is to look around the internet and a summit racing catalog. i like summit, i use them and never had a problem even when i sent stuff back.

if you are doing a lift i know about those too. same with axles, i am guessing you have a dana 44 front and 10 or 12 bolt rear. both are good, and with upgrades are great.

tools you will need
1. torch
2. 4 1/2 grinder
3. good braker bar and cheater pipe
4. jacks and jackstands
5. motor crane. worth the money, which is not that much
6. big hammer
7. pry bars

come back with any questions, ill try and help you out.

Last edited by MouseMotor; 03-05-2009 at 07:26 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83k5bigblaze View Post
I have a 1983 K5 Blazer. I have a small blaock 350 with a turbo 400 and i think an NP208. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
please dont take this the wrong way, but here is a suggestion.
take the time to find out what every part is on your truck. if you plan on a build up, and plan on asking for help on the web, you will NEED to know what you have. i cannot express how important knowing what your truck has is too getting and finding good info.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the stock carb will work well offroad. ive tiped mine over a few times mines also an 83 and it ran till i shut her down. so far my carb works in all angles near vertical with the front tires floatin in the air makn climbs. it realy amazed me how well it works.

if the motor runs alright id recomend a tune up and the put the cash into some 456 gears. gears will be far more worthwhile than sepnding thousands trying to make hot rod motor

my 350 is actualy running the 83" cast steel intake modified to work on TBI heads wich might be better heads than the 83 heads on the carb motors. i got the motor from my other truck that i wrecked.

it has about 200k on it. im running k&n exstreme filter and just single 3" exhaust and it makes plenty of power. i figure that since mines almost a dirt only rig that ill get lots of use out of my hi mileage low budget powerplant..

ive been putn my time into the suspension, bumpers and drive train,and wheeln. when my motor does go ill replace it with another tbi crate motor. i built a motor along time ago and it wasnt worth the time and effort.

well good luck and good wheeln

Evan

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig

Last edited by The_Kid; 02-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode