new here, need a burban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:11 AM
kdf baja

new here, need a burban

hey, im new here. fist off, im 16. i have a 72 baja bug. im lookin into getting a 91-earlier suburban to lift. i have $1200 tops to spend, and not exactly sure what to look for. is there any years that are better/worse, and why? what are the +'s and -'s of certain years, what should i stay away from, etc. im not too picky, some rust is fine. im located near the twin cities in minnesota. whats a reasonable lift, im thinking 6-8 inch leaf spring (no blocks). whats a good axle/gear setup to run? what other mods are required for such a lift, (u joints, steering) is there a good lift kit as opposed to a ****ty setup that will just break on me? what size tires should i run, im thinking 35-38 inch. will i need a different brake setup with bigger tires? i plan to use this as a truck...towing, trails, mud, and as a daily driver (the bug is not road legal)

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Old Hand

Re: new here, need a burban

well, that is a big list.

first off, you don't want to go 6 to 8 inchs if you plan on the truck being on the road.

second, i'm not sure if you have tried wheeling in a truck that big but it is a bit harder. why do you want a burb? they are great trucks, just not ideal for off road.

with that amount of money, i am not sure if you are going to be able to make your goal. i'm sure you could get the truck and lift for that much, but getting it to be in good enough shape to run might be a different story. i'm helping a friend with a blazer, and the lift budget and replacement part budget is larger than your entire budget. to do it right, you are going to need more $$$.

if i were you, i would get a truck. blazer. wheel in it, beat it up and brake it. fix it, and learn. then you would know better what you need in a truck.

there are no bad year blazers. big choice is carb or tbi. carb years are a little better, some having stronger axles. for me, it would be more of a choice of rust. get something that has a body left.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

You can wheel a burban, you just can't go certain places. They are very heavy and long. Unless you need the space inside, you may want to look for a blazer like MouseMotor said.
I recommend you look for an 88 - 91 model. They have fuel injection via TBI.
The 1/2-ton's generally have TH700 transmssion and 10 bolt axles. By those years, GM worked out a lot of issues with the TH700 transmission. The 10 bolts are okay, but you don't want to go bigger than 35" or wheel hard in the rocks.
You shouldn't have any issues pulling a bug with a 1/2-ton. If you are going to pull heavier loads, or are going to wheel hard and go bigger than 35" tires, you probably need to look for a 3/4-ton. They usually have 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Old Hand

A few other blazers came with carb 350's and 12 bolts? and dana 44 fronts. Also good.

Stock 33's will fit, with a little trim. So, you really don't need to lift right away.

Many of the blazers that are around are already lifted. If you can find one that is done right and used you can get ahead of the game for less $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode