line-x - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
'86k5

line-x

the paint on my blazer is absolutely crapy.its chipped, flaked,rusted,and oxidized.what do you all think about painting it in line-ex.what about the inside,instead of the ruined carpet?would it be cost efficient or would it be better to just paint it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Old Hand

Re: line-x

I would paint the outside.

You can do the inside with Line ex. but, you have to do a ton of prep work and use special tape to have it come out right. Most of the do it yourself kits don't come out so great.

I am helping a good friend redo his blazer, a k 5 1990. He wanted to do the same thing, line ex. But i think, and he is doing, that you are better off just making sure that there is no rust on the floor boards and getting a stock style rubber matt. Less prep work, and will come out looking better in the end.

That is what i think, for what it is worth.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
'86k5

what about the fiberglass top,or maybe the bottom panels.the top is always getting all green and mildewy and the panels seem to take the worst beating of the entire body,i know that companies make peices to cover and protect them but i didn't know if they were worth it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Old Hand

to get rid of the mildew you can use a mildew remover. it is common product that you can get in a home improvement store or hardware store.

if the truck is an off roader it is going to get beat up a little. so, you might as well not waste money on trying to protect the sides. they are going to get beat up anyway. or at least that is my view of things.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

I did the entire interior floor of my suburban with durabak. It's all in the prep work. I probably put about 10 hours into sanding and cleaning the floors before I put down the first coat.
It came out really good, but not quite what I had hoped for. First, when the kids would stomp their feet on the floor it sounded like I ran over a dog or something. So I was always freaking out about that. Second, it did nothing for the heat. My wife's purse actually melted to the floor by the tranny hump.
So I ended up putting vinyl and padding down over it. But I like not having to worry about rust on the floors anymore.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
'86k5

last time i cleaned it i used a pressure washer and it worked pretty well,but it did remove a lot of fiberglass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode