Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   problem (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/215702-problem.html)

'86k5 01-05-2006 05:04 PM

problem

my parents wont let me lift my blazer at all.they keep saying that it will be to top heavy.how can i convince them to let me lift it .i think i may just buy 3/4 ton leafs,how much will that lift it?

MouseMotor 01-05-2006 07:46 PM

Re: problem

well, they are right. blazers are top heavy boxes, not that stops me from driving in them.

first, ask yourself if you really need to lift it. yea, it looks cooler but how often do you find yourself high centered on a rock? my truck is stock, and with 31's i only get hung up now and again. and that is why i have skid plates on everything that could be damaged.

k5's are great trail rigs out of the box. you can fit 33's on there stock, which is really as big as you want to go if you are driving it every day. rather than spend your money on the lift, put it into a posi or locker of some kind. combine that with a nice set of tires and half way decent new shocks and you are good to go.

down the road if the truck becomes a full time trail rig, spring for the lift.

'86k5 01-06-2006 08:58 AM

makes sense the blazer realy is heavy,i am running a full locker in front with a posi rear,i want to put 3/4 ton leafs to stiffen the suspension and reduce body roll,would it work?

MouseMotor 01-06-2006 04:53 PM

yea, i think it would work. you might get a little height. just that with a stiffer spring you will loose flex. so, yes it will work but it is not a great idea. that and it will ride even worse than it does now.

why don't you look into a 2 inch lift? a new spring in the front, blocks in the rear, new shocks. it gives the truck a nice look and still keeps it low and safe enough.

if you are driving it everyday, you don't want to go to high anyway.

'86k5 01-06-2006 05:06 PM

sounds like a good idea,i wouldn't need new anti-sway bars would i?

MouseMotor 01-08-2006 12:20 AM

you might. you can force the stock length links down farther. if both sides drop an equal amount (and they will) the bar will just be pulled lower than it was intended.

it is easy enough to make your own sway bar end links. you just need some 3/8 grade 8 metal rod, some 3/8th nuts, 3/8 fender washers and some sway bar end link bushings. your gonna need to drill out the bushings a little to fit over the 3/8 rod. use the existing sway bar end links as a guide and make your own, just 2 inches or so longer.

if you want to be really cool you can make them quick disconnect so when you go out on the trail things flex more. there are plans to do that all over jeep web sites, and the idea is the same for a chevy.