??? about spark plugs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

??? about spark plugs

So it's time for a tuneup on my gray truck. 400sbc w/HEI. I was eyeballing the MSD Ultimate HEI Kit; includes cap, rotor, coil, hei module. Also a set of MSD 8.5MM wires.

Right now I've got a standard set of Autolites (#26 I think) in there. I'd like to find a better plug to put in there since I'm upgrading the other stuff. I've been told that with those upgrades I could now run platinum plugs (ACDelco, Bosch(+2), Autolite). I was just curious if anyone had upgraded their ignition, and what kind of plugs were they running? I can get just about any kind now, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Old Hand

Re: ??? about spark plugs

I've used a kit like that. They are good, but you don't get really any better performance. The better caps and rotors seem to last longer, esp if you take the truck/live near the ocean where salt tends to kill caps and rotors. In my mind, wires are wires so long as they can stand up to header heat. But, if you have the money you might as well just go for the upgraded parts, it is not much more than stock parts.

However, I have used those plugs and liked them. I pulled them out of my truck after 20 k to see what they looked like, and there were fine. The truck might have ran slightly better when i installed the plugs, a little smoother. But i did the cap, rotor, exc at the same time and just replacing old parts might have also made the improvement.

But to sum all that up, i would go with the better parts. I have on a few cars/trucks, and i don't see any reason why you should not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 10:20 AM

I my self run stock cap and rotor accel wires and champion truck plugs (about $3 each around here) I don't have any problem but I would do the up grade and like he said you can have a small fortune in stock parts so al in all go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

I have done the MSD thing and ACCEL thing and it is just hard to beat the good ole' stock HEI. I find the best plugs to be AC R45TS at .045.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's what I was leaning towards. The R44Ts or the R45TSs are listed, but I'd go for the hotter one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:42 PM

the colder the spark pulg the better it will run to the point of fouling. the ts is an extended end witch they work fine I ran in the past the ac R45TS at .045 but I got one bad set and went to truck plugs. But they are a good plug.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Way Outta Control

When the engineers designed the heads, they did it around a particular plug. They had to consider things like reach, indexing, and heat dissipation under ALL CONDITIONS AND LOADS. Often what they need is a plug that hasn't been made before. OEM suppliers create that plug, then add it to their catalog.

Have a look at the AC catalog - notice how many numbers there are - lots and lots of them.
Now look at an aftermarket catalog - Bosch etc. Note how many there are - or aren't. They use the "one size fits all" idea. "If it fits the hole, use it."

Why would make anybody think plugs that fit a Yugo and a Toyota also work great on a Chevy?

Yellow, blue, red coloring doesn't help them work better either.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Old Hand

So, the color of the plug does not help?

Does this mean the many, many stickers on my tuner are also not improving my quarter mile time? I have a "type R" sticker on almost every part, including my home made cold intake kit.

I'll switch back to AC stuff now. After all, for $4 a plug how much platinum could there really be in there?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:13 PM
heynowjoey

I just put in accel plugs today, along with 8.8 accel wires. (coordinated eh?) I drove it home and it usually floods bad when it hot starts (fuel boils) but it was better with them. They were $15 for 8 at NAPA so how can you beat that?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Old Hand

floods with fuel boiling off?

that should make it run lean?

you might have another issue in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode