exhaust location - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:03 PM
'86k5

exhaust location

i am putting a flowmaster exhaust on my blazer and i am wondering the best location to have it run out,in front of the tires ,straight out the back,or turn down behind the tires.i also want to everyones suggestions about headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: exhaust location

I don't care to run long tube headers with these trucks. I have some on my brub, but the collector is very close to the spring shackles. They haven't hit yet, but its close.
I have my exhaust dumping out the back behind the bumper. They turn down and you can't even see them from behind. I don't like the nascar look.
You definitely want to make sure your exhaust isn't hanging down where it can get hung up on rocks or something. Where it exits is up to you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 PM

I'd run out the side behind the rear wheels. In front of the wheels will eventually start dicoloring your rims if they are chromed. Straight out underneath the bumper was always my preference with trucks, but I wouldn't do that with a Blazer if you occasionally run with the back window down due to the fumes.

Another option for headers is to run those for a late 60's Camaro. I have a set that I am going to put on my 86 trail rig. They don't hang down as far and I am going to get exhaust bent up that can go above the transfer case mount. I am also going to cut the flange off and weld the pipe on this one to eliminate the need for replacing collector gaskets down the road like I had to do with my last header vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the look that GM has got with the exhaust coming out towards the corner of the vehicle on the newer HD trucks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:37 PM

Same here. I like the swept 45 degree look vs. the 90 degree bend on the older ones. Gives it a better flowing look I think.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, it's probably too late... but if it's for your K5 they should not exit out the rear. In fact, I believe it's a law in many states that it does not exit out the rear if the rear window is capable of being rolled down (as is the case in a K5). Anyone who's been in a K5 with the rear window down on a dusty road knows how much of the air behind the vehicle gets sucked back inside.. and with the exhaust exiting out the back, it will get inside as well.. which won't be good.

Side exit, nice and tight should be fine.. when I make my rear bumper it will have an extension that has a section of pipe for the exhaust tip to run through.. decreasing the chances of it being crushed between the body and a rock.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 03:46 PM

just read the post and im sure its too late but for whats its worth:

as mentioned above, unless you have a truck you dont want it exiting strait out the back due to vacuum sucking it back in the cab, trucks obviously dont have this problem, also, if plan on towing anything you might want to consider sweepin ghte exhaust out the side so it doesnt strike whatever your towing, not a bug deal, but less carbon buildup on whatevers back there.

as for headers, im sure anything will work fine, i like short ones, but long tube has advantages such as more torque at higher rpm? i think, but be sure that the header gaskets are a good quality, my buddies have had problems with them warping and needing replacement miles down the road.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:52 AM

prolly too late, but on my GMC i have never finished the exhaust. When i rebuilt the engine i just left the exhaust ending just before the read wheels at the mufflers. It sounds mean and it has never gotten in the way. it did bog down the engine a little bit when i hit a big, long mud hole, but that's the only time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 PM
'86k5

the problem with that is that i no longer have sond proffing under the carpet,or even carpet for that matter,i have a spay in bed liner.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 PM

with my truck, i'm thinking of changing the exhaust. I bought 2 exhaust tips for 3 bucks at a junk yard, so now i'm thinking of making it cheap. I'm probably gonna run stacks, but not all the way to the top of the cab. I'm gonna run them just past the bed side, then turn them 45 degree's toward the outside. After i get that running good, i'm gonna put flame-thrower kits on both sides, so when i need some fire to cook marsh mellows, haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode