Front spring differences - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Front spring differences

What's the difference between the 69 to 72 front springs vs. the 73 to 87? I came across some 6" ones for the 69 to 72's for a good deal and wanted to know if I could make them work on my '86 jimmy build. I know the rears are the same, but how about the fronts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 02:59 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Front spring differences

I think they are shorter, than the later models. From 73 on the front springs are a 48" pack. Shorter would mean less suspension travel.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

BTW, I would recommend checking into swapping 52's (rear springs) up front. I don't know exactly what your plans are for the 86, but it may be of interest to you. Stock 52's up front will net at least a 4" lift. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in the event you're interested.

I'm still in the hunter gathering stage on my K5's build. I still have a bit of stuff to get, but it's not so much money holding me back at this point. I'm still just trying to make those last minute choices on what I exactly want etc. But to give you an idea, my first purchace for the blazer (an 89 K5) was a D60 & 14BFF. I have 4.88's & detroits for both. I'll probably be getting some moly shafts pretty soon.

I'll probably do a "Jason Payne" marathon build once i get everything aquired. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I thought about the rear springs, but want to go with at least 6" though. I hear you on the build. I too am in the gathering stage right now, like a squirel collecting nuts for the long winter. The parts are piling up in the garage and I am itching to tear into it, but completing the house so we can move in comes first. But we'll be in in the next month and I told the wife once we're in, I'm off to the shop for some much need wrenching and relaxation! This general contractor stuff and a fill in jack of all trades has made for one hell of a summer.

So far my '86 sits with these parts waiting to be fitted up:
14 Bolt FF, Dana 44, rear suspension is shackle flip and 2 inch lift block, Front is 6" springs which need to be purchased yet, and the 383 stroker is coming out of my '56 truck project that has been put on hold and being to dropped in. That in addition to all the goodies like KC lights, fuel cell, cb, etc., that need to be pulled off my recently retired Jimmy. It's just waiting now to go up on the jackstands and start getting stripped.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
DougK20

I have an easy 6" of lift with stock 52's and a zero-rate up front.

My rear is 4" shackle flip and 3" blocks. The truck sits perfectly level.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

take some leaves out 8" pack or 6" pack and d arch them make them longer.

im in bind latly i have 6" tuff country spring packs minus few leavs to make them bout 3"s of lift. now i eather want to get rid of them alltogether and go a hole difrent rout or de arch them and get rid of all theyre lift.

ill be running a set up that nets me 3"s of lift if i use stock height springs that is if i go with what ive started gathering parts for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode