doesnt like shifting out of first. 700r4 89truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

doesnt like shifting out of first. 700r4 89truck

tranny decided it doesnt like to upshift anymore. but it comes and goes.

drove to boise the other day 40 ish miles, tranny was fine 4th holds doin 90. anything slower than that and it hunts from 4-3 alot.

get in boise drivn in stop in go lights. tranny still feels fine, its hitn all the gears and just feels good. then a few hours later after more drivn it fails to hit a shift from first to second. by this time im ready to go home. so is the girl freind. i can see this going bad fast

pull over in a parking lot check the tranny oil, its fine, and shut it off. crawl underneath hopn like hell a linkage came apart. no such luck.

so we leave the truck sitn and go wonderin around the few stores that are around us. bout an hour later we get back hop in and drive off. trany hittn gears like it never missed a beat.

few days later it starts up again. but i learned i can make the shift from 1st to second with a heavy tap on the throttle and real firm shift. but not always.

ive looked for vacumn lines that could of come off. looked for this and that but pretty much have no clue what im doing.

ive debated droping the valve body and swappn it for manual vavle body. shouldnt that fix it. and maybe get me another 10 years outa the tranny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i dont mind dropn the trans and replaceing it but right now im wanting to get the front axle under it and the tranny just feels so good when its workin that ive got no other choice but to think this is something stupid im not seeing.

im here hopeing the tranny gurus will have some advice.

thank you
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM
chevyman86

Re: doesnt like shifting out of first. 700r4 89truck

change fluid and filter and put a axulary cooler on it i had an 82 chevy with 700r4 and it did same thing also check for a broken tv cable that goes to carb or tbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode