horse power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Dante M

horse power

I was woundering does anyone make a intake and filter. on jc whitteny they only have them for 88 and up i got an 87. will it fit? and also what about throttle body spacers do those really help or should i lookat injector upgrades? i just want some simple bolt on power things. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: horse power

Search the IFS board for all the opinions/info on throttle body spacers. Also search for TBI Upgrades or TBI Performance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

I put a spacer on my 89 a couple of years back and it seems that it made a little bit more power, especially at low RPM.
Whatever you do, do not buy the Pacesetter Air F/X intake for your truck. It is a POS and you will be sorry you wasted your money. I bought one and ended up ditching it in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 PM

if you intake is set up the way i think it is, it runs from the cleaner to the fender in the order 1. element housing 2. flex tubing 3. air canister 4. fender what i did to my 89 when i had it was replace the canister with a section of 4" pipe (abs or pvc) and a fernco fitting and a couple of hose clamps. This got me from the fender to the element housing in one staright shot. for the filter just get a k&n and be happy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:26 PM
bmxking5

[ QUOTE ]
I put a spacer on my 89 a couple of years back and it seems that it made a little bit more power, especially at low RPM.

[/ QUOTE ]
My dad also put a TBS on his 93 and as you said it seems to make a little bit more power. I felt some more low end torque.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:26 PM

Isnt an 87 the old body style, making it a carbed 350? I may be WAY off on this, not really a Chevy engine buff.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 is OBS, but first year for TB Fuel Injection
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Journeyman

I just run an open air element on my '93 and love it. I got a bit more power all around. If you go open, buy an air cleaner housing for a Ford 2 bbl carb, fits perfect.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 PM

the 87's have a 14" round open air filter already.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
steve gmc

I have a 90 gmc put a tbi spacer but before install i cut 2 1 in each chamber angle grove from upper in to bottom out apx 1/6 wide 1/16 deep that gave alot of torgue over just spacer also the deepest k&n filter tounnel directly to the cowl hood scope , the ari wont matter as much at low rpm also an MSD system wires heeders then 488 gears stronger tranny bands strong joints ahhhhhhh !!!!!!! then your broke
lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode