350 engen # - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

350 engen #

i just got a bare 350 block last weekend its all preped and redey to be bilt i was just wonedring if some one could give me more info on it or tell me ware to look for it, the # on the back it 39700010, i guess the onley thing that i relley need to know it the year since ill be buying all the parts for it

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Re: 350 engen #

IIRC, that casting number was used for quite a few years....1969 through 1980 to be exact. It could also be either a 2 or 4 bolt main (best way to tell is pull the oil pan and look at the main bearing caps).

I know that doesn't really help you, but with such a wide range of years that are possible..it would be difficult to track down exactly which year it was made.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks thats actuley varey helpful, i t should be the same block in that time span withc is all i relley need to know, just for ordering parts

and ya its the 4 bolt main, just a bare block, looks all preped, not bad for $25.00

thanks agen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:59 AM

If you look of the front of the block, passenger side, right behind where the alternator mounts, there's a little machined "pad" that should (unless it's been filed/machined/etc. off) have another engine code that was stamped at the final vehicle assembly plant. If you can get the whole number, that would be best. However, the last three characters will help also.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sometime on the block is a date casting. Letters A thur L are codes for the month A = Jan thur L = Dec. The code breaks down as Month Day Year. The only question is the year 9 or 0; the 9 could be 1969 or 1979 and 0 could be 1970 or 1980. For all practical purposes, the only changes for the block parts between 1969 - 1980 would be the pistons and camshaft profile. Usually 1969 - 1971 would have flat top pistons, the other years usually have a 17cc dish piston. I recommend that you get pistons and heads that have about 8.5:1 compression ratio. As for heads between 1969 to 1980 the heads were mostly 64cc or 76cc. As for camshafts between 1969 to 1980, well that's a can of worms. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode