lift dificulty - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Dante M

lift dificulty

I am 16 this 87 Blazer is my first truck and i want to lift it 4 inches. What kit shoudl i use? Do i need axel extensions? I am going to do it myself so it has to be abolt on that ic an do inn my drivwa. any help is apreciated thanks alot guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:59 AM

Re: lift dificulty

The search button will help you alot if you want to learn more, but in general, solid axle Chevs are pretty easy to do and the parts for the lift are relatively inexpensive. Your normal tools, jacks stands and a floor jack are about all you'll need on hand to do it. Your usual 4" kit will come with front springs, blocks for the rear, u-bolts, and shocks. Pretty straightforward install. If you decide to add a little more and use it a little harder, brake lines, rear springs, and steering arm are nice, but will require a little more work, and money. With the Blazer, you driveshafts are fine at 4 and I don't feel the steering arm is as big of an issue as it is with long wheelbase trucks I've lifted in the past. I've always had good luck with http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/index.asp, but you can also get some good buys on kits from e-bay. My main advice is that about a week before your ready to tear into it, soak your spring bolts, u-bolts, shock bolts, etc. really good with some WD40. It will reduce the amount of cussing associated with the install. Good luck and post some before and after picts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

depends.... daily driver or rig???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM

I dont think a 16 year old with minimal mechanical abilty doing a lift in his driveway is a good idea, regardless of the fact that this kit is extremly easy to do.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 AM

the only way to learn is to do it. just take your time, go slow! do no tdo anything stupid with the jacks/ jackstands, its the easiest way to get hurt. it wouldnt hurt to find someone from the area with more mechanical ability and see if they can give you a hand.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Yes I agree. Have someone on hand who has the slightest idea of what they are doing and always use jackstands...never just leave it on the jack!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Mechanical skills are a definite need, but age alone shouldn't be a factor in saying he's unable to do it. You only learn by doing, but your correct, it always helps to have a spotter with knowledge the first time.

Kind of weird, I've never seen that b-day cake thing pop up before. Happy Birthday.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Dante M

I dont have minimal mechanical ability i am atending a vocational tech school and have been around mechanics all my life. but of course i just didnt want to rush into anythign to fast i will definatly have help and i will be smart about saftey thanks for all the posts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 PM

Well we have a whole diff ballgame now...go for it dude [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 AM

ruff contry lifts arent that expenseve and come with evreything, id get the rear springs but thats jus me, i did my lift in about 12 howers on a saterday with brakes and no power tools and im pritey slow so just take your time be shure to read the instuchons and unerstand what ther talking about, some times thats the hardest part,but id get the stearing arm and your drive shafts should be ok

good luck and send some pics when its done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode