nocking noise from below - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 PM
steve gmc

nocking noise from below

when i pull out hard sometimes not always i get a nocking sound from around the transfere case i have a new drive shaft new 456bgears and moser axles , i had the mech who did those mods check the noise out he thinks its the tranny mount it is hopeing alot , so i will change that , the tranny was rebuilt apx 10k ago another question the tranny shifts very very hard the hour of driveing then it seems to soften up alot not slip but very soft 2nd to 3rd shifts while 1st to 2nd stays very hard? anyone problems like these . its a 90 gmc jimmy fully mod 35 tsls 6inch lift new gears and lockers new axles heavy duty tranny rebuild ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: nocking noise from below

Not trying to sound like a *****, but you really should use a little puncuation in your sentences, it would make reading your questions a little easier for everyone.

It very well could be the tranny mount. If it's when you get on the throttle, it is likely tweaking and if there is some loosness on the mount, it can cause a knock.

Did you own the truck when the tranny was rebuilt? The reason I ask is, it may have a shift kit or some sort, that has a firmer shift. I know my 4L60e in my 97 has a pretty firm 1-2 shift w/ the corvette servo. If it didn't have a firm shift before, and has started recently then it could be a problem. If it didn't shift hard before, run it by the place that rebuilt it and see what they think.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 AM
steve gmc

sorry about grammer lol The truck has a shift kit that was installed when the rebuild took place , the problem is the guy that rebuild it died the same week he finished the truck , no really, i was his financial advisor as well as a client of his shop, I like the firm shifts but its when the truck is griven for about an hour is when the shift from 2nd to 3rd get very soft, the tech shows that it revs apx 2-3oo rpm before the shift, the tranny is set up to hold the shift points longer, it almost like the tranny is tell the moter higher rpm then i will shift its odd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 AM
steve gmc

[ QUOTE ]
sorry about grammer lol The truck has a shift kit that was installed when the rebuild took place , the problem is the guy that rebuild it died the same week he finished the truck , no really, i was his financial advisor as well as a client of his shop, I like the firm shifts but its when the truck is griven for about an hour is when the shift from 2nd to 3rd get very soft, the tech shows that it revs apx 2-3oo rpm before the shift, the tranny is set up to hold the shift points longer, it almost like the tranny is tell the moter higher rpm then i will shift its odd

[/ QUOTE ]like a nun with big tits
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah that sounds sort of odd. You should not be getting that rpm jump, unless somethings wrong. Your best bet would probably just to run it by a tranny shop, and let them know it was rebuilt a while back, and let them give it a once over.. could be something minor, or something worse. Good luck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
steve gmc

It shifts great evr simce it was rebuilt but after about an hour of driveing 1st to 2nd is still very strong but from 2nd to 3rd is a soft shift, it seems like the enigine wants to rev higher before the shift then it shifts and goes, and also after about an hour of driveing it doesnot hold the shift points as high up on the rpm scale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:15 AM

Long hard 1st to 2nd gear shift on a fuel injected engine ??
Change the Fuel filter. It strange but it will work.
Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode