1979 K10 - Need info. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

1979 K10 - Need info.

I've posted 3 seperate topics over the past few months asking for information about different trucks.
The prior two have fallen through, so it's on to #3.
This time it's a 1979 K10 for $1450.
It has a 350 in it, but according to the VECI label under the hood, it originally had a 400ci in it.

Anyway, the pertinent stuff:
1979 K10
5.7L 350ci V8
Quadrajet carb
TH350 tranny
12 bolt rear axle
Dana 44(?) front axle
Unknown what the trasnsfer case is (Has 4Lo Lock, 4 Lo, Neutral, Hi, and 4 Hi Lock on the t-case shifter).

Miscellaneous Stuff....
Dash is pretty cracked but all original and intact.
Door panels are in good condition.
Engine runs almost flawlessly.
Has no catalytic converters and has some generic glasspack mufflers (sounds pretty nice for a 350).
A small (50 cent piece) rust hole on the lower edge of the passenger fender by the door.
Front disc / rear drum brakes.
Camper shell.
Gooseneck hitch in the bed.

And finally the questions.....
1) What transfer case should this have in it?

2) How reliable would the TH350 be under moderate (unmaintained forest roads, some mudding, etc) wheeling conditions?

3) What would be the largest tires I could fit with nothing more than a 4" suspension lift?

4) How strong are the front and rear axles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Re: 1979 K10 - Need info.

1. this is a 203 transfer case
2. the transmisson should hold up fine, if you are ambitours anough a shift kit would be cheap and easy to install
3. With four inches you can fit 37's with just a little cutting
4. the axles are pretty strong, if you plan to run 35's you shouldnt have a problem. you can upgrade the axles themselves for 700 (at the most) and have a pretty beefy combo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The shift pattern of the t-case says np203, but since the motor has been swapped don't be surprised if it's different.

I second the shift kit for the th350. Just wheel sensibly, and it'll be fine. Keep clean fluid in it, change the filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM

To find out for sure if it's a 203, drive it around and see if the front wheels spin when you hammer it, if they spin then it's a dead give-away. My '78 GMC K15 has a 203, and it's reliable, but can't drift or spin the tires. The rust hole on the passenger side must have been a weak spot when GMC manufactured the truck, because I have the same sized hole on mine, and so does my friend in the same spot, so it must be something with the body. Happy Wheeling..GMC's are fun!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Old Hand

You can get metal to fix those holes. Just, it is made in China and does not fit well at all. It will require some time and fitting. I've done it, it requires a bit of metalworking skill. Can't just drop the pan on and weld away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode