Anyone mounted Gerry Cans on their rig? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 AM
mrbatzloff

Anyone mounted Gerry Cans on their rig?

I'm about to take a 2600 mile trip from Pensacola, FL to Ft. Campbell, KY to Chicago to Minneapolis to Frost, MN and finally to Missoula, MT where we'll be living for a while. We can't wait to hit the road. I've had my truck for six months and my constant battle is recovering from extensive redneck rigging and getting it right (they zip-tied the choke open!?!?). It runs and drives perfectly and everything works (finally!). My problem is this, at some point someone removed my driver's side fuel tank leaving me with one 14 gal. tank. With 11mpg that's not much of a range for those long empty stretches from Minnesota to Montana, not to mention we plan on doing a lot of wilderness camping while in MT and theren't aren't any gas stations in the woods. I'd like to mount a couple of 5gal. military surplus gerry cans to my back bumper (I think). The mounting bracket measures 14.5"Wx7"Dx6"H. What I'm thinking is this: cut the mount down from 6" high to 3.5 or 4 (i've got a body lift)so that when I remove the cans I can lower my tailgate freely. As far as depth, there's about five inches or so and an inch or two outboard won't hurt anything. Also, I've got a topper so in the bed is out of the question (not to mention it will be full).
I'd like to hear if anyone has tried this or has a better suggestion. Thanks.

Also, I found a really cheap place to get surplus gas cans, they're only $15 for metal cans and $10 for plastic as opposed to $40 from jcwhitney. www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com (they're under heaters and supplies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Re: Anyone mounted Gerry Cans on their rig?

I've got one of those mounts in the back of my Jimmy, and I don't see a problem if you were to trim it down a little. They are still pretty sturdy mounts. I know exactly what your talking about with the Minn. to Mont. run. That stretch is pretty barren. We've run HWY 2 out when we've gone and always gone by the rule that once you hit half tank, you start looking for fuel. We were pulling travel trailers, too, so that didn't help. Doesn't help either that some places that actually do have gas only have 85 octane which they labeled as "off road" that was more than likely for farm equipment and I was no way going to put that in my vehicle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I guess what I would have to ask first is: why don't you get another fuel tank for the drivers side?

Don't get me wrong.. fuel cans can be a great idea, and have their place. However, I don't think they make a reasonable replacment option for a fuel tank. It makes more sense to get another tank and put it back in in place of the old one vs. trying to pack a couple of gas cans around. It would leave some to believe that you're trying to make you rig look cool, vs making it practical.

In my opinion, you're trying to use a band-aid on a gunshot wound. If you're about to travel 2600 miles with a 14 gal tank, you're going to be stopping a lot, even if it is just to re-fill with the cans. Why would you want to do that? Get a real fuel tank and be done with it.. and actually enjoy the trip, instead of sweating about the fuel.

More power to ya, if that's what you want to do.. but it aint how I would do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 PM
mrbatzloff

One word: Cost. To be honest I've got the money I need for the trip, repairs, getting settled, etc. I can't afford to put in a second tank because it would require bodywork and finding a larger replacement would cost probably twice or three times as much as the gerry can rig. Not to mention we've got a dog so stopping is mandatory (and riding in a swb pickup for too long a time gets a little rough). I guess as a summary I don't mind the band aid because it's cheaper than surgery. Thanks for the insight, though, good advice and point taken.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:35 PM
mrbatzloff

Newxjer, why HWY 2 rather than I-90, is it a better road? By the way, nice rig, I miss my Cherokee, it got totaled when I was hit by a drunk driver about six months ago (that's why I bought my pickup).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:40 PM
mrbatzloff

If I can find a tank for a good price before we go I'd be happy to swap it out. What year trucks fuel tanks will fit the passenger side on my '77 SWB?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 PM

I would bet you could find one at a salvage yard for pretty cheap. I'm not sure what years, it could be all, but some had the filler neck in the upper corner of the tank. If your talking about the bodywork for the fuel neck, you can run a shorty right off the corner, and fill it via the rear wheel well. It's sort of hard to explain, but as you know, the tank end can bee seen through the wheel well. My old 77 had an added on extra tank, and the person who owned it I guess didn't want to cut the body. He mounted a short fill neck like I mentioned, and put a cap on it. To fill it you just reached into the rear wheel well, and removed the cap & filled. I don't know what sort of time frame you are up against, but if there is time, I would check into it. It would really suck to come out of a highway rest stop, and find that some a-hole cut the locks & stole your 2 full cans, while out in the middle of nowhere, sitting at an 1/8 of a tank.

Best of luck to ya.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I can find a tank for a good price before we go I'd be happy to swap it out. What year trucks fuel tanks will fit the passenger side on my '77 SWB?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my guess that anything from 73-87 would be worth checking out. If you see any crewcabs, they would be worth a look since they may have dual tanks. Call some salvage yards and see what they have around.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, all 4 of our gm trucks (77-86) have dual tanks, three of which have dual 16s, the other has dual 20s (go figure, it's the 2wd one too).

The fill necks are different on the 81-87 style since the beds have fuel doors (at least I think that's why). On Chevy Duty's website they have 16 or 20 gal fuel tanks for $99.95/ea for your truck. Part # 23-951 (16 gal) or Part # 23-954 (20 gal).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Newxjer, why HWY 2 rather than I-90, is it a better road?

[/ QUOTE ] There were a couple reasons. First of all we were on vacation and pulling campers so we wanted to take a leisurely trip. Secondly, our final destination was Glacier Park, so we ran Hwy 2 because it was more senic and pretty much runs right into the park. My wife also has relatives in Grand Forks, ND so we ran interstate from home, through the Twin Cities, and up to GF until we hoped on 2. It is only a 2 lane, but was a very good road when we were out there 4 years ago and allowed you to see the country more. But, very barren. Thanks for the compliment on the Cherry. It has changed a little since that pict and gone through another growth spurt but and I haven't had a chance to update my sig pict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode