NP203 Rebuild Cost, Diagnosis??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:23 PM
mrbatzloff

NP203 Rebuild Cost, Diagnosis???

Took it to a shop last week, they put it on the lift and gave me a quote. This is a breakdown for the rebuild of an NP203.
Labor: $150 on bench, $250 in vehicle.
Parts: About $200 for the rebuild kit (bearings, seals, etc), it sounds like the chain is the main problem and that's about $120.
Total: Probably about $600.
I've looked everywhere for a replacement, but in this area since hurricane Ivan it's hard to find anything. Let me know what you think. I'm curious and have no reference for the cost of the rebuild. Also, I've rebuilt and installed engines, etc, but never rebuilt a transmission. Is this job worth the headache?

I guess while I'm here I'll run the symptoms by everyone, too. It's a 2wd converted 203. After I installed my new hubs (they were broken when I bought the truck), when I would shift into 4wd with the hubs locked, it would make a high-pitched whine and kind of felt like it was slipping out of gear. It did this the one other time I shifted into 4wd (I was scared of the sound). I'm about to move to Montana, so recently I took it to a local guy to check it out, we couldn't induce the whine and the shifter on the 4wd side wasn't engaging. Took it to the recommended shop, they put it on the lift, locked it, and decided that it was something internal in the t-case because it made a jangly noise while manually turning the front drivshaft. Other than the 4wd problem the truck drives perfectly in 2wd.

Sorry this post got so lengthy, but let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Journeyman

Re: NP203 Rebuild Cost, Diagnosis???

For a rebuild that doesn't sound to bad. I don't know where you can get a T-Case rebuild manual from. As far as trannies go, there isn't anything to them that can't be done in a night or two if you've got every thing you need [clutch packs, bearings, seals, etc.]. I'd look around for manuals, and parts availability for them while you thinking about getting it rebuilt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:13 PM

Have you ever thought of swapping in a better t-case. 205's can be found real cheap. ebay is always a good friend. 203's are not deirable t-cases, and for that cost you could easily swap in a 205. Just another thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
mrbatzloff

I thought about swapping it for a 205 based on the reputation of that t-case, and I've been looking for about a month or so to see if I could find one within a reasonable distance. A question about 205's: when looking for one, what should I look for to be wrong? Will there be any tell-tale signs of misuse? (i.e., excessive, play, etc?)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:43 PM
mrbatzloff

Thanks for the insight, Griasev, that puts me at ease about the cost of the rebuild. I always have a hard time coming to terms with paying someone to work on my vehicles, but unfortunately, time is at a slightly higher premium than money for me right now. Thanks again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 AM

It should be pretty easy to find a 205 in really good shape. there arent that many signs of something to go wrong, because there isnt much that can go wrong. Ill look around for you and let you knwo what i find.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Journeyman

Also, at junkyards up here in Michigan, you can get a borg-warner for about $125. I don't know what your junkyards run prices at, so that's still another option.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 PM
mrbatzloff

What adapter would be necessary to run a Borg Warner in place of a 203 on a turbo 350? Also, which B.W. would be preferable?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Journeyman

That I'm not sure on. I'm pretty sure they came on 1 ton trucks in the late '80s, I know they've got them for Chevy's in the 88-98 body style. Still, I can get a working TH400/208 combo for about $200-$250 [yes tranny and t-case together]. It's just a matter of calling around and checking on prices. If you've got a floor jack, and basic hand tools, it should only take you and a buddy an hour or so and a six pack to drop the old t-case and install the new[er] one. That and I've got Fords on the mind right now because I'm gonna run a Ford D60 and either Ford or Chevy t-case on my '86 when its finished.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:03 PM

a 700r4 adapter is whats needed for a 350. the adapters are interchangable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode