383 TBI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

383 TBI

Is it possible to have a 383 run good on TBI? I'm thinking about building one for my '86 Sierra. I have a stock '95 TBI off of a G2500, and know that I will need to have it bored out or get a bigger one. Would stock heads from like vehicle that have had work done to them fit the build up? I do plan on going aftermarket cam and intake, along with long tube headers, true duals, a burned chip and some other odds and ends. The truck is going to be a 1 or 3/4 ton depending if I can find a Ford D60 front for the right price. It'll have a built TH350. And either a NP241 or NP208 T-case. Other suggestions or things that I missed? I'm looking for all the input I can get. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 AM

Re: 383 TBI

Just from my own build, which isn't totally done yet and needs to be fired, you'll also need a 400 damper and flexplate. Also make sure your 350 is built stout enough. It was recomended at the time to go with the turbo 400 if possible to back mine up. Mine is carbureted instead of fuel injected, though, and I am running a a holley performance II with a 700 cfm double pumper on it. Just had to include a pict. Ain't she purdy! Just wish I had time to make the rest of the truck look finished!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395356-56ChevMtr.JPG (68.8 KB, 49 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well, the guy that I bought the TH350 from, said he would hate to drive that truck on wet roads it'll shift so hard. So I'm fairly confident in what it can handle, but I'll see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM

a good aftermarket manifold/ throttle body should handle the power no problem. Using the stock heads shouldnt be a problem. Just have them ported and polished and you should be good. You actually have to use heads from a newer style motor because the bolts are angled differently. hope that helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:38 AM

I asked about this a few years ago in the Land Cruiser forum.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showf...true#Post969014
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A stock 350 TBI is only 535 CFM, so I agree a 383 would very much like the added flow of a modified TBI flowing at least 600 CFM. Camshaft profile is important to a TBI computer, so make sure the cam you choose is OK with a computer. I think if I were to build a 383, I'd skip the TBI idea, and use MPFI from Edelbrock. The picture below is a Edelbrock 454 MPFI, and Edelbrock programmed the PROM to the camshaft specs. I admit, not everyone will have the budget for an Edelbrock MPFI, but I feel the Edelbrock MPFI system is worth the $$$$.
dave

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1403247-P1010020.JPG (145.3 KB, 78 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey dave, is that your setup? How do you like the Edelbrock equipment? In another recent thread about more power I mentioned a ZZ383/425 + Edelbrock's MPFI Kit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The pic I posted is my "In-Laws" truck. I really like some of the Edelbrock features, especially the Calbriation Module. Once Edlebrock programmed the PROM to cam, it was easy to get the 454 to "Hook Up". It was easy to install, but I've got good mechanical / electrical skills so maybe other first time installers might need help from the Edelbrock tech support? My "In-Law" let me road test my calibration work, and the Edelbrock has not flat spots, no stumble, it just plain makes the 454 go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] I needed to install an adjustable vacuum modulator to the TH400 to get the shifts to "Hook Up". The MPG is about 11 HWY at 70 MPH. The emissions were tested, and were about HC 275 PPM with Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 duals, no catalytic converter. Every Oregon / Washington hill and mountain pass is like the open flat highways of Kanas for the Edelbrock MPFI 454. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode