new to Chevy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
PsychoTurtle

new to Chevy

Hello, i am new to this part of the board and wanted to make sur i am in the right area. I recently recieved my Grand fathers 78 Chevy Big 10 350 2WD. Was looking of basic information since was sitting in garage for 8 years after he passed away. was able to replace fuel pump and get started and drove from Lubbock to Austin with only blowing the radiator. Luckily it was in Cisco and had replaced with rebuilt for $80. Got to Austin and had to again replace radiator but with new and correct size and now works great. other parts replaced were u joints and bearing (were about to fall apart and lots of vibration) and now new MSD distibutor. Probbaly need to replace carborator, as accelorator plate was sticking a bit. Gandfather also setup to to use propane, but have not tried yet as wanted to make sure it was safe. This also dried out most seals on carb. Any other ideas, or helpfull hints?

Thanks ahead of time,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Re: new to Chevy

I have looked into a propane conversion and am most likely going to do it. When i do it i am going to use a holley throttle body to better handle the propane. You are in the right part of the board, although this is geared to 4 wheelers, were gald to have you and welcome aboard!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
PsychoTurtle

Thank you, and still learning more about my new toy. Mostly i hang out on the Jeep board, and always got great info there. I was looking in past posts for 6 months, but have not seen anything about converting from 2WD to 4WD. Is this an easy switch, or major undertaking, like the jeeps? I will assuredly have other questions about geneeral upgrades and repairs. Again, thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 PM

I wouldnt bother w/ a conversion. to much work for the result. 4x4 chevys are so common and cheap its not worth it. Can it be done? Of course. Is it practical? that depends. Does the truck have sentimaental value, or highly upgraded already? It all depends on you. Just remember, just because it is practical doesnt mean it shouldnt be done.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 AM

If the body is nice, and since there are probably sentimental attachment, I'd look around for a bare frame to swap the body onto since that would be the easiest in my mind. They are usually pretty easy to find or you could even find a rotted body complete truck and use it as a donor for additional parts. Just make sure you have a good tranny and transfer with the donor since you can't use your current tranny. Frames very slightly from the 73 to 87 models so the only issues I've run into is varying cab mount bushings and the front frame horns needing to be modified slightly for mounting the stock bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode