steering boxes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

steering boxes

Will a Ford steering box off an '83 F250 bolt up to the stock location on a '79 Chevy Frame? Also would I need to do any modifying of the cross member to use a Ford steeting setup from the same year as the box? One last thing, whats the going price for an 8 lug D44 or D60 for a Ford front. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Re: steering boxes

not sure about the steering setup. you can make it work, but its gonna take some time and figuring. If im not mistaken, the ford draglink connects to the passenger side knuckle, correct? this means you have to get a axle with flattop knuckles (44 only) and get them machined or get a steering arm for the d60. you can find a good 60 for 700-800 on ebay, plus shipping (or if your close to them you can pick it up. id say about 500 for a 44.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

See the whole point behind using a Ford front axle is so that I don't have to machine anything. All of my running gear is going to be Ford. I've already purchased a perfectly good Dana 70 out of an '89 E350 for $50. Now I just need to come up with a NP 208 or a NP 241 along with the front axle. This way it's all set up and match up with fewer headaches. I'd have the T-case already but the one I can get is for a manual tranny, and I need one for an auto. Besides, I almost told the guy at the junkyard to shove it when he told me $350- $400 for a Chevy D44 w/3.73's in it. My friends and myself can usually find good deals around here if we look hard enough and keep asking people. Wouldn't you say a good Ford 9" and a complete C6 tranny for $35 is a good deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:57 PM

I didnt realize you were going to be running a ford front end to. the only thing that will changed is drag link length and the spring pads. chevys have skinny frames than fords which will move the box closer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Sorry, I thought I had implied that I was running one by asking for the price of Ford front axles. Actually the D70 I bought was sold to some one who had it under a '90 Silverado, and the pads were only 1/2" off or so. And I think on my '79 frame I would have to move each side in like and 1"-1 1/2", so it's nothing big.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 PM

Im sure you can get it to work, its just the amount of time and effort thats going to go into is gonna be substantial. Its just a matter of if its worth it, thats all.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

To me yes it is worth it. I've got time, because the truck I originally bought for the conversion is on a complete 2wd frame, and I will probably run it as a long-term 2wd until I get all of the frame work done that I want to. I want to do this truck right the first time and not have to **** around with it after all the body parts and every thing else is on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode