doors sag,play in hinges - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

doors sag,play in hinges

Hi guys,

I'm from the Jeepster board, but I just bought a 1993 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy truck. The doors are a little tough to open and close, and there seems to be a lot of play in the hinges. My auto body guy, said I need to replace the bushings and pins. Do you have any posts on removing/ replacing the doors and replacing the bushing/pins.

I tryed the search engine and came up with nothing, but I know our seach engine is sometimes a little fickle.

Thanks for your time

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: doors sag,play in hinges

Your '93 would be an IFS truck so it goes on the other half of the GM Forums. However...[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...I've done hinge pins and bushings on a '76 K1500, '83 K2500, '86 C2500, & recently a '94 Suburban. Do you happen to have access to a shop hoist or one of those rolling little cherry picker-like cranes? IF you do, GREAT, my dad and just pioneered an easy way to to do this task. What we did on the Suburban (which will probable be closest to your truck) was roll the window down, wrap a towel around the upper part of the door and gently lift it with the crane. Just enough that it takes the slack out of the saggin door. This is all done with the door open to it's fullest. After you take the side load off the hinges you can pop the keepers off the pins and drive the pins out with a punch. PAY ATTENTION to which direction the pins go as well as the bushings. Our hinge pins and bushings kit came with new keepers but the OEM ones were more robust, so we reused them. Now with the pins out you can roll the door (assuming it's on the crane) away from the rig.

(If you've got power windows/power door locks, post again, I'll tell you how to get some slack out of the wires.)

Okay, now you can pop the bushings out and take a iwre brush of ssomething to the hinge surfaces and clean them up if you want. Ours had a few years of WD-40 and dirt build-up on them. After that you just pretty much reverse the process. Tap the new bushings in with a hammer, top and bottom, bring the door up close and start the pins. After you've got the pins lined up, don't be afraid to whack those, you'll need to. Install the keepers, almost done.

The door spring on our Suburban is a coil spring, if your's is, I'm sorry. That thing is a PITA to get back in place. It takes a cople medium sized prybars and some coaxing. It is an incredibly stiff spring for a door, but those doors are pretty heavy.

If you don't have access to the crane I mentioned, a floor jack placed under the door with a 2x4 and towel will acheive the same thing. You will need a second person though to hold the door upright.

Did I leave anything out?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the wrong board thing. I ran the reply off, I think it will help.

thanks
george
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch,

I put in the new pins and bushings last week. They went in with non problem. About $12 at Carquest. We had no luck with the spings, so I ordered a gm door sping compressor:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/toolaid/colli04.html

With this it only took about 10 min to to both doors.

thanks for everything
george

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yourock.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode