700r4 shift kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 AM
greg_Z71

700r4 shift kit

hello i have a th700r4 trans in my 85 blazer it has 40" tires and 456 gears i have just bought a b&m shift kit for it will this kit make the shifts more firm ? what else can i do to this trans to make it better it is electronicly controlled? so is there a after market modual that u can buy for the trans to make it proform better? thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:15 AM

Re: 700r4 shift kit

I think you may have some things to determine first. What year is the tranny and/or Blazer? How many miles on it? I know that in '86-'87 they were the first years these came out and they were not strong tranny's and if your rolling 40's that's a lot of strain. What about the condition of the torque converter? If you have something newer than '87, I would suggest looking into www.hughesperformance.com or www.tciauto.com for options to your specific year. I know there are shift kits that will make the shifts firmer and quicker (the more you don't feel the shifts the more the quicker clutches will wear, the firmer the shift the better as it does not cause the clutches to take as long to shift. Cadillacs are known for not feeling the shift and that type can be hard on a truck!)

Call and find out from www.summitracing.com too about available products and perhaps they have hand in hand kits, this way if you put in the shift kit only you don't want to weaken a different part, such as the modulator.

Just some thoughts!

Good luck and let us know!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

Your first upgrade should be a proper fluid and filter change. You should also add a tranny cooler if its not equipped. The Corvette servo is also a popular upgrade; its supposed to firm up the 2-3 shift. By the way, yours is not electronically controlled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Journeyman

first off, i'm not sure if a corvette servo will work in a 700r4, i know they fit into 4l60e's. also i believe they are for 1-2 shift as that's when my hits the hardest. you can also get certain patterns to re-drill the spacers in the valve body. that and your b&m shift kit actually shifts too hard. your tranny will now be more prone to breakage. that's what i've heard from several tranny people. also that year is towards the end of the bad rap they had for burning up and malfunctioning. around '87 or so GM finally got them to work right. secondly it it were my truck, and having 40's on it, i'd just swapp in a th350 that's been shift kitted the hell out of. it'll hold up a lot better than that 700r4. and on the electronically controlled. yes it is in a way electronically controlled. just not all the way like the 4l60e's. what all they run i am not sure of so don't take it to heart.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
shaBurby

unless i got wrong information, 4l60e is the newer name for teh 700r4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM

the 4l60e is an electronic version of the 700r4. Altough they are very similar, they are not the same.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Journeyman

Most of the parts are identical. The thing with 4L60E's is that the computer controls the shift points, which is why they redline at 4500 RPM. They came out in around '92 I believe. 700R4's are also known as 4L60's, especially when you get into the '88 body style, though the internal workings really didn't change until about '92 when they switched over to the computer controlled 4L60E. Also as far as I've been told 700's and 4L60E's are extremely difficult to build correctly to hold up to extreme amounts of abuse and hard useage, and performance parts are scarce as well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 PM

It is difficult, but there are companys who can build these trannys for around 450hp/tq in a heavy vechicle (like a truck) If you want the ultimate in strength and durablility a 4l80e or 4l85e are the way to go. Altough expensive, you wont hev to worry about it, ever. (well just about)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, not widely known but ATS, the people who are known for building auto trannys to live behind 600+ HP turbo diesel pickups, DOES also build up the smaller trannys as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode