How to: Can it fit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

How to: Can it fit?

If anyone has done it, i have a question about installing a sm465. i dont have a removable transsion hump and dont know how im going to get the tranny in. i plan on puting the clutch on, the bellhousing assembly, then the tranny. how am i going to get it line up properly with the bell housing is i have the top for the shifter on ther? anyone have some ideas.ive been racking my brain trying to figur it out, and havent gotten a manual yet (i know i need a swift kick in the butt for that). Thanks ahead of time for the help guys!
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:59 AM

Re: How to: Can it fit?

I have not done it myself, however if you possibly cut your transmission hmp yourself and put in a fab'd piece of stainless steel or sheet metal with some screws to hold her down and weatherstripping along the edges to keep out the elements! I saw someone had done it on my Blazer before I owned it and it's cover up with the carpeting real nice. When I get my Blazer back (hopefully this week) I will try and snap some pictures for ya!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

i was kind of thinking alog those lines but wanted to avoid that if possible. but you got to do what ya got to do,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:11 PM

I have one question for you K20 why do you want to go to a manual trany insted of staying with the auto do you guys do alot of hill climbing
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

i like hills, mud, rocks, anything challenging. a few reasons for going to a stick.
1. I like a manual transmisson, always have, always will
2. i like being able to select the gear i want to be in, i feel more in control
3. handle more power
4. Easier to work on
5. When you step on it you go, no slipping
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:43 AM

I'd suggest you take a run to the bone yard and look for junkers with that setup. Take some measurements on the hole size and start fabin'. I've helped a budy with this before when we put a two wheel drive column shift cab on a 4x frame. Nothing too difficult, but like they say, measure twice or learn how to weld. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Pull the shifter off. IIRC, you push and turn counter clockwise and the shifter pops right out.

I'm going to have the same problem as you soon. I have a 2wd with the low rise cab so it's going to be even worse. On my 84K10 there are little dimples in the floor where each screw goes for each combination and you can tell where they cut out for each combination. My 2wd cab has no dents or anything in it. Plus, I'm moving the cab further back than the transmission.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking about pulling the shifter, i just have never done it and i wasnt sure if i had to pull the whole top plate of or not. oh and what does IIRC mean? yeah it is nice that my floor has the dimples for screws/ cutouts. Id rather measure twice but its all good the my welding can always use a good workout. (i can weld, but havent in a while. i just need a reason to do some more.)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't all 4x4 trucks have the same height hump? I was under the impression they did. If that is the case, figure out where you need the shifter hole, make it. Get a shifter boot and hold down ring from lmc or chevy duty, be done with it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 AM
damaged1

the install easy pretty simple. install the trans with the bell housing it is actually easier that way, only one thing to line up. the shifter will come out of the trans with out taking the top plate off.the brackets are a differnt story. you will need a complete clutch pedal and all the pivot rods. one plate for the clutch is rivited on the frame i had to cut the rivits and drill new holes. as for cutting a hole in the foor board, do it last. if you need any other help just ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode