Aftermarket Transmissions - TCI, Hughes, B & M ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Transmissions - TCI, Hughes, B & M ???

I am getting ready to get this truck settled on in regards to the insurance company. Now I have a tranny that needs replacing and I have spoken to a couple of shops. I am not willing to take it to Aamco Transmissions - I want to buy something a bit more worth the money.

I have a 350ci that is about 375hp, a NP203 running 3.73's in the axles. I am running 4" lift and a 33" tire now, I may possibly to goto a 35 down the road with a 6" lift in the future.

Has anyone bought a TH350 from TCI? B&M or Hughes performance and is running them? I don't want to just let $1400 blow away on a tranny and find I need another one in 30k miles. I have spoke to Hughes and to TCI, I personally feel good about the prices and build up TCI says they do. Hughes Performance is local for me and about $200 cheaper.

Any suggestions would be very well received!

Thanks!
[img]images/graemlins/yourock.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Aftermarket Transmissions - TCI, Hughes, B & M ???

Probably TCI. You can also buy transmissions from Summit for a respectable price.

In my opinion, rebuild the TH350 yourself. They're really simple (as compared to an overdrive transmission). Put a full reverse manual valvebody with compression braking in it and you'll be good to go.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 PM

im not sure how long untilyour going to need it, but i am going to have a turbo 400 for sale. its got 20,000+ miles on it. During rebuild it had a shift kit put in it. it shift strong and works great, i have had no complaints. If you interested email me at [email protected] id take 175 for it, you just have to pay for shipping, it would be frieght and depending on where you are it would be 100 to 150 bucks on average.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, rebuild the TH350 yourself. They're really simple (as compared to an overdrive transmission).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had the time, facilities and resources to do it myself. Working fulltime, having two daughters (3 yrs old & 18 months) trying to keep the house managed definately takes up alot of my time. I may consider it though, I am always up for a good challenge. Have a buddy I could call, neither one of us have done a Tranny before. I would just hate to do it, it be wrong or screw something up bad. I may just buy a transmission now while I know the money will be available and put the spent one to the side, tear it down and see @ my own pace what it involves.

Food for thought and for that I appreciate the response Wrath! [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I will consider the offer Chevy! I will have to see what is involved regarding the output shaft of the TH350 vs. TH400 into the 203. For that price though it would be hard to pass up. I am in Phoenix AZ and I am sure it would be about $150 - $200 to ship to me.

Hold that thought and let me do some checking.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, it won't take you more than a weekend to do a TH350 or TH400 and that's if you're obsessive-compulsive and everything goes wrong. They are incredibly simple compared to a 700R4.

If it's not your primary vehicle then I'd just go for it. It's not all that bad. Not at all like a 700R4. I have a saying when it comes to rebuilding TH350s and TH400s... "A quadriplegic on meth could rebuild a TH350 in a sandbox and it'd work alright".

Another option is to buy a used one to get you by for now. A good used one goes for $100-250 and a "core" goes for $75-100. I've got both a good one and a couple cores but I don't like to ship stuff.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

[ QUOTE ]
I will consider the offer Chevy! I will have to see what is involved regarding the output shaft of the TH350 vs. TH400 into the 203. For that price though it would be hard to pass up. I am in Phoenix AZ and I am sure it would be about $150 - $200 to ship to me.

Hold that thought and let me do some checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd end up changing the input on the 203 to 32 spline so you could run the TH400. A lot of work, especially for the worst transfer case GM ever made.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
I have a saying when it comes to rebuilding TH350s and TH400s... "A quadriplegic on meth could rebuild a TH350 in a sandbox and it'd work alright".

[/ QUOTE ]

Welp, that definately made me laugh cause I can say I have known a tweeker of two in my days and the quadripalegic comment only made it that much funnier!! YEs, unfortunately it is a primary vehicle, that's why I am a bit skeptical to do it myself the first time with this situation ie- kids, housechores & work!!

Thanks for the info though and we shall see. Doesn't mean I won't consider a try on one that's out of the truck!

[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the 203 is a POS however I may check around to see if I can dig up a 205.

It's all in this analytical mind of mine, all these damn choices & options!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 09:09 AM

Re: Aftermarket Transmissions - TCI, Hughes, B & M

If you want, id throw in the transfer case to for a little extra. Its a 208 in really good shape. $275 for transfer case and transmisson. i think 150-200 is about what it would cost for shipping, i just had a 465/205 shipped from oklahoma to ct for 165. let me know if your interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode