Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   IFS to SFA (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/204037-ifs-sfa.html)

Predaking 01-25-2005 09:05 AM

IFS to SFA

I have a '94 Z71 1500 with IFS . I want to put SFA under it. I'm wanting to know if anyone else here has done this and what all will it take. Ive been told ill have to use a front axle out of a 70's model Ford . Is this so and will there be and major conversions that will also need to take place ? Besides removing the whole front end and tosing it aside. I'm putting a GM 14 bolt 10.5 3/4 ton rear end under it and beefing up the springs.

TxFireman 01-25-2005 03:27 PM

Re: IFS to SFA

Yes it's been done here.. use the search feature to find related posts about it.

You don't "HAVE" to use a 70's Ford front axle, if you wanted, you can swap your t-case for a passenger side drop and use an older GM axle. But, as you realize, either way your swapping something else in.. so most just use a Ford axle vs changing the t-case. The reason being that your t-case is set up for a drivers side drop, as are older Fords, so the fords axles will have the diff on the drivers side.

Have fun...

ChevyK20 01-25-2005 05:59 PM

i would go with the off road unlimted kit. www.offroadunlimited.com the reason why you use a ford or dodge front end is because in 89 for pickups and 92 for blazers/ jimmys, suburbans is on the drivers side, not on the passengers side like in solid front axle gm's. If your going with a 14 bolt rear, dont cheap out, go with a dana 60 front end. ebay will usually have alot. I havent done a conversion, but was planning to with my last truck, from what i remember, its a bolt on kit. They have the installation insctructions on the website. Hope that helps.

4x4mike 01-26-2005 03:55 PM

Go with an 8 lug 44 or 60. Around here the cheapest way to get a good one is to buy a whole truck. Then you have a lot of the brakes and some of the steering. If the gearing is good you may want to the take the rear axle as well. Once things are cleaned up you could sell a lot on ebay or to a recycler.

Predaking 01-27-2005 12:37 PM

Thanx for the reply's i decided to put it o the ack burner for a bit cause i bought a 85 K5 yesterday and it will make for a beter toy for the time being . Now i have a use for my 1ton fron t and rear ends , i think.. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]

ChevyK20 01-27-2005 06:02 PM

cool. let us know how it comes out!

LUV24BY 01-28-2005 05:02 PM

WOO HOO! Anutter Blazer to the board!!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]