Transmission rebuild - how much? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Transmission rebuild - how much?

I'm having problems with the tranny yet again, and am going to take it to a shop next week. There's no longer OD, and it makes a whining noise.
I just want to get an idea of what a total rebuild might cost, assuming a worst case scenario. It's a TH700 by the way.
I was also going to have them put in the correct gear to get my speedo accurate again.
And also thinking of a new transmission mount from Energy suspension. Any pros or cons to using their polyurethane mounts?

Thanks again. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Re: Transmission rebuild - how much?

Seems like I paid around $325 when I had my turbo 350 done about 2 years ago and like $400 when I go my turbo 400. The turbo 400, though, was for a two wheel drive and I didn't have a core for them to start with.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks. I can only hope mine will be that cheap. I'm thinking that because it's a 700 it will be a bit more. The cheaper the better, then I can put more of my tax refund into other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:47 PM

I don't mean to make you mad but i know around here you can't get them rebuilt for that i do transmissions but i had really tryed to stay away from the th700 there is a lot of piecse in one of those compared to a 350th
but I have a guy that is comming in that talked to an old boy over in another town that said the only way to go is to bypass two of the valves in the valve body. I told the if he gets the info on it i would do it but I would not put my name on it. This guy has been through 3 trannys and he is hopeing it will fix it I will let you know how everything comes out. As far as energy suspension mounts go the only thing bad i have been told about them is that they are pretty hard. Other then that every thing is good
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

A friend of mine just got his 4L60 rebuilt for about $1600. I know mine doesn't have the electronics like his, so I'm putting aside $1500 to be safe. I was also planning on having them change the speedo gear while they have it.
Good thing its tax time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:18 AM

I forgot to add that that was rebuild only with no torque converter since I already had a new one on hand. I removed, hauled, and reinstalled it myself. Too bad your not closer to my location since I have a 700R4 sitting in my '83 parts truck that shifted just fine prior to parking and parting it out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:37 AM

A buddy of mine just had his TH700R4 done for $1700+ through a tranny shop, R&R and all. I know that out here in AZ those 700's are going for $1600+ for a rebuild. A consideration may be to look @ Summit Racing or check out Hughe Performance for a replacement if it's cheaper than having yours redone.

Just some thoughts!

Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:56 PM

I was curious as to what that shop would charge that did my Turbo 400 so I got in touch with them. A 700R4 would run $550 with a new torque converter and a warranty. Once again, that is for the tranny rebuild work only, does not include removal and reinstall, and it is either for a core exchange or you can drop yours off for it to be rebuilt if you want your own back.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the info everybody. Its going into the shop next Monday.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 PM

Hey: If your trans lost 2nd,4th, and reverse gears, then you have a blown reaction sun shell. That's the weak member of the 4L60 Trans. You can buy a beefy replacement part known as "the beast". If that's all that's wrong with the trans, you can fix it yourself easily for under $100. If you're gonna have a shop do it, make sure they don't rob you! The most labor-intensive part of the job is the remove/install. Doing that yourself will save you a lot of cash......
[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode