Which 'burb to look for - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Which \'burb to look for

Good morning and Hey! I've always been interested in the Suburban as a utility vehicle, However I don't know the first thing about offroading. The 'burb won't be a daily driver, and obviously it won't be a radical offroader either. I know that it will be a 3/4 ton, I know that I want a big block, and I'm pretty sure I want a solid front axle. Did this combination ever come off the production line? What years do I need to look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Re: Which \'burb to look for

I don't think they started putting in Independent front suspension until they did it on the pickups in like 1990 or 1991. Anything below that - like '89 and older will have a solid front axle and you should be able to find a 3/4 ton no problem. Depending on where you live will be a big factor in the body integrity. Here is a link to help you with the '73 through '87 model years of chevy.

Suburban Links

This link below is based upon pickups but I am surre can be used the same for suburbans:73-87 Chevy Spotters Guide

Good luck in your quest!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, man. Hopefully I'll find an '89 or so with a big block and O.D. or just an O.D. tranny that's capable of dealing with that torque... and surely the age of the vehicle will keep me from breaking the bank! Here again, any specific details on what to look for regarding the driveline are much appreciated. Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:17 PM

I am about 90% sure they started with IFS in 92' on Subs....the fullsize Blazer and Sub were a little behind the pickups.

Cosmo
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

91 was the last year with SFA in the Suburban and Blazers.
GM did produce 3/4-ton's with 454's.
I think that 87 - 91 are probably the best bet. The newer the better. In 87 they started putting TBI on the trucks.
Mine is an 89, and I love it.
If you go with the big block, I'm pretty sure you'll get the TH400.
I highly recommend rear A/C if you're somewhere hot. There's a lot of interior space to cool, and the front only doesn't cut it.
If you have any more questions, just ask.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks again, fellas. It gets bloody hot here in IN sometimes, but the other 9 months it's cold. It will probably be on the road and in the snow more often than not. Do you think I need to worry about the advantages of an O.D. tranny? I am adamant about the big block. I've never spoken to anyone about these tech issues other than a used car salesman, and they all try to steer me toward the 350 because of the gas mileage. It will be a utility and I'd rather have the extra torque. I have lots of questions as I am very new to all of this. I'll try to go easy on y'all. Thanks again!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 PM

with headers, intake, etc you can get plenty out of a 350. it will cost less on gas, you can get it with the o.d. tranny and efi, and parts are everywhere and cheap. it wont take that much to get a 350 to give you the power you need. Besides the 454's that came in the trucks arent really known to be power monsters, and youll prolly wind up doing everything to it that you would've done to a 350. After all the upgrades to a big block you'll of spent more though. Just some things to think about...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:07 PM

if you want to play in the snow you already have a heavy truck and all you need to add is the weight from a big block so like k20 said the 350 would be my choice of corse my 350 has between 550 to 600 hp so it will eat a big block for lunch because i can build rpms quicker
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm so indecisive. I shop like a B... girl ,but I love my toys.
We'll see! Thanks for the input! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Veteran

Just for the record if you are looking for a 4WD you can only get a 350, for some reason GM never put the big blocks in 4WDs when they had the solid axles. I used to have an 87 3/4 ton with a 350 and with a few mods it could get up and go pretty well but a big block swap is feasible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode