Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Transmission Troubles caused by an Accident!? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/203691-transmission-troubles-caused-accident.html)

LUV24BY 01-17-2005 06:20 PM

Transmission Troubles caused by an Accident!?

1 Attachment(s)
Welp, it was the first Monday of the New Year and those days are always inevidibly bad - I got rear ended two weeks ago. She hit my Blazer hard enough to bend the hitch down @ a 45 degree angle and buckle the frame (on both rails) where the hitch is attached. Now, within 10 days my friggin transmission took a crap! I have almost completely lost 3rd gear and reverse. Anyone know of any logic or coincedence these two issues happened so close together? Anyone ever experience a similar connection? It's a TH350 and before the accident it was working superbly! Not one ioda of any problems or issues. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

Just friggin pissed [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] off and not sure if these two events are connected in anyway. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Just thought I would see if y'all have had similar experiences!

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

LUV24BY 01-17-2005 06:21 PM

Re: Transmission Troubles caused by an Accident!?

1 Attachment(s)
HERE IS THE DRIVERS SIDE!

newxjer 01-21-2005 08:20 AM

I can't see that that minor buckling that far back on the frame would cause the problem. Have you checked your fluid levels for the tranny? Usually when a tranny starts going, reverse isn't one of the gears that is lost.

LUV24BY 01-21-2005 12:19 PM

I have taken the Blazer over to Hughes Performance (they build trannies similar to B&M) and are located here in Phoenix. They weren't 100% sure it was just normal wear and tear or if it was caused by the accident.

The fluid level is full, not discolored or burnt, there aren't any leaks on the trans anywhere and the things Hughes was suggesting like a pump, torque converter or valve body (under the normal wear and tear idea) would affect all gears and not just 3rd and reverse. The only thing that is similar to 3rd and reverse is they share the same clutch pack. However, reverse will engauge when enough pressure is built up whereas 3rd doesn't.

My honest thoughts are this: The tranny was not acting funny in the least prior to the accident. I got hit just as I came to a dead stop and had the brakes on. Perhaps the jolt of the collision caused something to happen in the transmission. With Chevy being very stout and unforgiving (no buckle points of the body & frame) everything was built very ridged - very firm. If you see in the images, the buckle on the frame rails is far back, however they are right behind the rear spring shackle. Perhaps the momentum of the force traveled through the frame and the drivetrain.

I don't know - I am still at a loss. Only logic tells me that there was no problem prior to the accident and now there is a major problem. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

newxjer 01-21-2005 02:09 PM

If that is the case, then I'd make sure you get some recourse from her for the damage. If she's turning it into insurance I am sure an adjuster will question it so the more backing you have from a tranny shop or two the better. Good luck though. Nothing worse than having someone else mess your stuff up and you getting shafted with the bill.

LUV24BY 01-21-2005 06:40 PM

Thanks for the support NewXjer - I appreciate it! For the time being I am just going to have to wait and see what an adjuster says and then take it down to a tranny shop and have it torn down to find the exact cause!

I'll let y'all know!

ChevyK20 01-23-2005 06:09 PM

Have the adjuster talk directly to a shop, the shop can better convince the adjuster of what caused the problem, and if you should get any money for it.

LUV24BY 01-24-2005 11:39 AM

Welp, just going to have to have some blind faith honestly! I am still waiting for an adjuster and hoping that when I get to a tranny shop it's what I think it is, even if the tranny is acting like a normal 350 might, it's just too damn coincidental that it was within a week of the accident it went out!

Thanks!

John

newxjer 01-24-2005 01:04 PM

Well, scarry thing is if they start adding all that up and say by the time we fix the tranny and straughten the frame, a truck of that year isn't worth the cost to fix and total it. I don't know how it works in your state, but I'd be happy if that happened to me since in Wisconsin, you can get the cash and can buy it back as is from insurance for usually a smaller price. And since it never changes hands, the "totaled" never shows up on title. You still have your truck and maybe a little cash to spare. Can you say mod time!

LUV24BY 01-24-2005 02:11 PM

Unfortunately here in AZ I believe there is the fact that the title will have to be switched to 'Salvaged' if it is totaled - even without changing hands. Don't quote me on this but I believe that's the case. I checked out www.nada.com and they show this model year Blazer as between $4000 & $7000 in value. I hope that is the case and not the Kelly Blue Book. I don't know if even the frame repair will be under that!

I think they should consider market value then the stupid Kelly Blue Book in trucks this old. It's not like I spend $1000 for her.