need help, truck runs like crap please help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

need help, truck runs like crap please help

I have a 1984 chevy truck with a 305/700r4/208. When i bought the truck it came with all of the vacuum lines and some wiring hacked up. I went through everything that i could and hook most of it back up.

The truck kind of always ran like crap but now i can't really drive it. Yesterday i started it up and it ran ok, then after some driving it starts acting up. It will slowly start hesitating more and more until it gets to the point were i can only give it a little gas so it doesn't hesitate and i can go but i can't go very fast, 10-15 mph.

I have replaced:
Spark plugs
wires
cap/rotor
fuel pump
ignition module
air filter
PCV
carb (I know this is a good q-jet off of another truck)

I have checked:
choke (seems to work ok)
timing (set at 4 degrees with advanced off and plugged)
firing order

I'm not sure if the truck should have a map sensor or 02 sensor. It does have a ecm but i'm not sure what its controlling. Anyone have any ideas? Anything else i can check?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 AM

Re: need help, truck runs like crap please help

will it idel if it will take it let it idel and spray something like carb cleaner or either around the carb gasket and intake gasket if it has a vacume leak it will revup but keep it out of the carb because that will defeat your purpose. other than that does it pop or anything like that what does it do if just in park you put it to the floor
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 AM

I am not sure what to say. Personally I would consider checking to see if the Fuel Filter is clogged or not. Perhaps remove it (if it has one) and blow through it the direction the gas goes through. If it seems clogged replace it. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

And I agree with snowmancat about the carb cleaner around the intake manifold. Don't let it get sucked into the card @ idle - just spray it around the entire intake manifold where the bolts are and the intake seats against the heads. Also, if you don't find any change in idle when doing this, still take a socket and socket wrench and make sure ALL of the intake mainfold and carb bolts/nuts are tight. Even a slight 1/4 turn on a loose bolt can make a difference.

If you don't have a Chiltons I suggest picking one up. Also, most of the things you have mentioned involve electrical. Perhaps maybe it's a fuel delivery problem - though you did say you replaced the fuel pump. The other thought is what year did that Q-Jet come off of? Just some food for thought.

Good luck and let us know! [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 AM
damaged1

i had the same prob on my truck. it was my distributor. in 81 they went to a spark control type which always goes bad. if the module goes bad it will either create a no start condition or a rough run when warm. swap the distributor with an older modle a 4-pin style. it will not have a harness coming off the back side going to the fire wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode