86 burban questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Addict

86 burban questions

Hello. first time posting in this section. I'm usually over in the yota board cause my heavy wheelin truck is my toyota. But the family cruiser is becoming the family grocery/off-roader. I have a 86 1/2ton sub. It has almost 200k miles on it and it's in need of some mechanical updates. It has a newer 700r4 already in it. And it's getting a new 350 next weekend. The axles are WAY too high geared with the highway 3.52's or something like that and the breaks are shot. I was given a set of 1977 or so 10bolt axles that I was told had the 4.11's in them. I have yet to confirm this. My sub is now riding on 235r15's now. I also was givin the springs from the 77 pickup which are more arched then my current springs are. Not sure how much of a lift they will provide yet.

Here's my plans/questions.....

--Recondition the '77 10 bolt axles.... How do I count the turns to find out gear ratio? Do I hold one wheel still? do I let them both turn freely while turning the pinion?

--I'm going to put on the 77 springs and see how much lift they give me to clear 31's or 33's. I need this to be a good highway driver while letting me do mild off roading for the soon-to-be-growing family of 6.

Any thoughts on this? Thanx in advance.... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 86 burban questions

If you're going to rebuild the older axles, just count the teeth on the ring & pinion while you're in there. A '77 would've had a Dana 44 front axle (has 10 bolts on the cover), and a 12 bolt rear axle. 31s & 32s will fit stock. Heck a 235/85R-16 is a 32, I think. A very very small amount of trimming is in order to fit 33s, it mostly depends on the wheels specs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:58 AM

Re: 86 burban questions

Im running 33s now with no lift, i wheel it pretty hard and i get no rubbing, then again mines a 3/4 ton. The springs may look more arched just because theres no weight on them. Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode