TIRES - MT Claw Radial's or...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

TIRES - MT Claw Radial\'s or......

I currently run 33x12.50 15 BFG Mud Terrain's. I am in need of getting a new set of 'shoes' and was thinking about the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial.

Does anyone have a set of the Mickey Thompsons? I know BFG has a good record, but they do cup even with consistant maintence (tire rotations.)

I live in Scottsdale, Arizona and during the summer time any type of soft compound tires get eaten up fast. Example: I had a set of 35x12.50 15 Goodyear MT/R's on my '97 Dodge with a 6" FabTech lift. Those tires lasted me approximately 13 months here in AZ.

So, what I am looking for is some input for those who might be running the Baja Claw's - or if you have any other tire suggestions that would be great. I want to stay with something of a mud tire as I wish to have good traction when I go out and wheel. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Thanks!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: TIRES - MT Claw Radial\'s or......

I have never had a set of them.. so I can't affer any opinions on them, but have read some respectable reviews of them.

For a few years now I have been using Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers, and I have liked how they have performed. I'm on my second set with my 97 daily driver, and I had a set on my old 84 K5 when I sold it. I wish they still made the old Yokahama Mud Diggers, those suckers rocked in the mud... they were alomst like running ATV or dirtbike tires... talk about some good voids & tread blocks. But, they were pricey even back in the day.. but I still ran them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:26 PM

the baja Claws ride horrible and you will need to upgrade your audio system if you are interested in listening to the radio while you drive, cuz them things are LOUD. Offroad they are awesome, just remember to carry a Mud terrain as a spare, not another claw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:10 PM

how funny is this, i am now running Baja Claws myself.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate your viewpoint, and experience too! I know the BFG MT's can be noisy too - however if the Claw is a good tire for mud, rock and sand - well hell, I say it's work turning up the radio a bit louder to have the extra traction. The only thing that sucks is trying to find a tire store that will put warrenties on the Claw's.

:All Good:

Thanks for the heads up on the spare too!

What size tire you running? 33, 35 or larger?

Thanks! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:58 AM

I am running a 33x12.50 on my truck with no lift. They arent horrible on the road but over 80mph it gets scary. They rub a lil bit at full lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode