60 and 14 bolt axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

60 and 14 bolt axles

Quick question- What do you think a dana 60 front and 14 blot FF rear, match set w/ factory 4.56s and rear locker are worth? out of 87 1 ton. Front has new rotors, pads, calipers, all bearing and races. rear has all new brakes also. Just want to get an idea because I have a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: 60 and 14 bolt axles

About 2 dollars for the set.. do you ship, or should I come pick 'em up? Heck, I'll even buy lunch.. LOL

Probably around the 1600 dollar range... it's hard to say really. The real answer is, they are worth whatever someones willing to pay, and nothing more. Normally i would put less of a value on them, but with them having all new brakes etc.. it would add to the worth. Now, would the "buyer" see it that way.. who knows. I'm also assuming that they are all cleaned up.. Anyway, that's just a ballpark figure. I have seen people try to sell the D60 for that much alone, but I don't think they usually have much luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

They are still on the truck (which runs great- 1500 miles on new GM motor) but if I was to sell them, I would clean them. I am in Colorado and they seem to sell well here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

About $1200 for the pair out of a recently driven truck. If it has new brakes (rotors and pads) add $150. Brakes on the 14 bolt don't really matter because most people are going to toss them for discs.

I, myself, prefer unmolested stuff. I'd rather not have someone doll them up with paint.

Pretty much, when I go to buy axles, I take a note of some things. Do the pinion seals leak? What kind of slop is there in the gearsets? Is there a lot of grease around the steering joints? Are the universal joints shot? Does it look like the gear lube has been changed recently?

If in all doubt I check the universals with a prybar, open the differential covers looking for contamination, and pull the lockout dials looking for contamination.

The more junk that needs to be fixed the less it's worth. It's easy to have $200 into bearings and races in a Dana 60.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more junk that needs to be fixed the less it's worth. It's easy to have $200 into bearings and races in a Dana 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly why I added a little more to the worth.. he says it has new bearings & races, that, plus the fact that the buyer won't have to spend the time changing them... not to mention that they are geared low, which if the new owners wanted to run some, somewhat lower gearing he's ready, and if not, he's at least got the correct carriers. After all, there are no "thick" gears for a standard rotation D60, so either the carrier must be changed with another open one, a spacer musst be bought and used, or some sort of traction aid that will except lower gears... all of which would cost more. So anywhere around the 1500-1600 range would not be far fetched... that and it has a (I assume) Detroit in the 14.

On a side note, to the owner of the axles, I don't mean painted etc... just not all caked in rust and mud etc... you know, like it's been sitting in a feild for a couple of decades. That takes a load off the buyers mind knowing they don't have to replace EVERYTHING for some peace of mind. Lets face it, as a buyer we're all willing to pay a little more for the car with the clean engine compartment that looks mechanically taken care of vs. the one that's being held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

When I bought my D60/14bFF set, they were a pair from the same 88 or 89 V3500. The spring perches had already been relocated for a K5 on the 14, the 14 had a Detroit (I bought another for the 60) and they had 4.10 gears, and had just come out of a K5 that had been driven pretty regularly. The owner wanted to get some Rockwells is why he sold them. I paid 1350 for mine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

700-900 at most for the set up. rebuilt or untouched.

low pinion dana60s are a dime a dozen in these parts.

id have to wonder if this trucks a dualy. because the dana60 isnt very common in 3/4 or 1 tons in 87,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

It's a single rear wheel and they are very hard to find in an 87, especially with 4.56's. Since rockcrawling is so popular in Colorado, front 60's are very hard to find here.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
700-900 ......low pinion dana60s are a dime a dozen in these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they GM D60's? SRW? If I ever get up that way I may have to have you show me the way to a couple of them... I'd be willing to haul them back home for the right prices... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

theres one sitn in the mud in yard as we speak, ive been thinking about accidently taken it. its actualy maybe almost kinda mine. the owner of the salvage yard told me he was gona crush the truck 85 86.

i told him i wanted to pull the axle before i he crushed it. so i did and its been sitn out in the mud eversince. i just cant see going with a low pinion axle. but i did tell him id trade the rear axles i have for the dana 60. i have dan 60 rear and dana61 rear. there is no difrence in these two axles other than the d61 will accept 35spline axles and has some funky pumkin ribbing.

anyways, yes if you made it up here id do what i can to turn you in the right direction or exscort you tp parts pulling session in the yard. im very good freinds with the owner. when i say im stealing something im not realy.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 PM

My father-in-laws buddy has a an old farm truck, 90 V3500 4x4 CC SRW that is pretty ragged out. He just uses for working in the feild, and for hunting. It's sort of a shame, since I remember when it was showroom new... anyway, if he ever gets around to selling it, I'm supposed to get first dibs on it. Back in 90 I wanted the whole truck.. but now-a-days I would probably just part it out for the axles etc.. If he'll sell it low enough, I'll probably buy it when he's ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode