Rebuilding a 350 for my 83 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
steved454

Rebuilding a 350 for my 83

I have a 83 3/4 GMC long bed with the original motor. It even had the all the smog pump hoses and pump on it when I got it. The truck has 140,000 miles on it and the motor is tired, just rebuilt the 700r4 and now it is time for the motor. The truck is a daily driver and will tow a trailer some and will go down a muddy road or too I am sure. I want to build a about a 300 hp 350. I have a 4-bolt main block ready to build just wondering what would be a good combo to build. I am going to bore it 30 over and put flattop pistons in it. from there not sure of cam intake or heads to put. any info will be greatly appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 PM

Re: Rebuilding a 350 for my 83

Hell, if your going to do it .30 over, why not just go one step further and build a 383??

Just a thought!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:28 PM

To get my motor increased to a 383 when I had it built was not that big of a cost increase. Only think was that they then run different damper and flex plates so you wouldn't be able to use your current ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:46 PM

i build motors for a living and the 383 does not have the life of the 350 a 350 is hard to kill and there are so many part for them any more. If i were you i would go with a set of heads of about 76cc and a 1.94 in take valve. if you want to go the best bang for your buck i would go with a set of vortec heads. if you are looking for after market heads world products makes a good head. as far as camel back heads i wouldn't go with them unless you are getting them for free. as far as cam i would go with a hevy rv cam something around a 260 duration and about 480lift and then if you want to run a quadrapuke carb i would get a performer intake. if you want to run eldelbrock or deamon carbs i would go with a edelbrock performer rpm that is what i run on mine and i love it. Back to heads if you need to put a lot of money in them it is not worth it either find a different set of heads or put the money into after market heads. so good luck hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A stock 83 engine should have 76cc heads and dish pistons with a compression of about 7.8:1 which is usally OK with 87 octane unleaded gas. 76cc heads and flat top pistons will equal about 9:1 compression, which is usually OK with 92 octane unleaded gas. Flat top pistons and 64cc Vortec heads will equal about 10.5:1 compression which will be to much compression for 92 octane unleaded gas. Dish pistions and 64cc Vortec heads will equal about 9:1 compression. I spent nearly $700 all total for Vortec heads, which included new Vortec heads, new Edelbrock intake manifold, new head bolts, new intake manifold bolts, new Vortec intake manifold gaskets, and some used valve covers with new vavle cover gaskets. My choice to save some money, would be to use flat top pistons, with the original 76cc heads, and a Competition Cam 252 or 260, with dual exhausts.
dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:33 PM
steved454

Thanks for the information guys, I think I will stick with building a 350 and still not sure about the vortec heads difinitely going with eldelbrock carb either 650 or 750, and edelbrock performer intake and flat top pistons. Never thought about the gas. So I will be researching Some more to see If the benifet is there for the vortec heads.

Thanks again, I am fixing to send my block to get baked and honed out next week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode