Ignition Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Ignition Problem

Just hopped into my 76 jimmy to move it today and when I turned the key I heard something snap. The key turns freely now between where it should start and the accessory stop without ever engaging to allow it to start. The key is fine so I am assuming it is one of those slide levers or whatever you want to call them in the column. Question is, what are my options and what may have to be replaced. This rigs only role is trailriding and is never on road. If the easiest thing to do is set up a push button start, I'm fine with that, but what wires are used. I also have an 83 that I use for parts, but I am not sure what needs to be pulled off of it to replace what broke on this one. Can you jus pull the tumbler mech and those slides or do you have to swap the entire column? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ignition Problem

I seem to remember that there is a travel rod that goes from the key tumbler down to the ignition switch at the bottom of the column. I think if was "just a trail rig" I'd push / pull on the travel rod. The travel rod will usually break at the key tumbler, so there should be plenty of play to manually move the travel rod. The ignition switch is not spring loaded, so remember to pull back on the travel rod once the engine starts, but don't pull to far back and kill the engine.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Just what I wanted to hear. That travel rod you are talking about were the slides I was trying to explain. Guesse I'll pull the tumbler and cut a little access hole if needed in the column and try that out. Lot simpler than putting in a differendt column. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What you're describing sounds like what happened to my uncle's truck. Last year I pulled the steering wheel, and a couple of the next parts down; got to the ignition cylinder. Took the one bolt out that holds it in, pulled it outta the column, and put a new one in. You might dig down about that far and just see what you've got. Don't cut a hole in anything yet. For me it was just the ignition assembly that was wore out. It would turn to all the positions but from the Run -> Start position, there wasn't anything there. It didn't have any resistance, it just kinda rolled forward and stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode